2001 Sport, 31s with 15x10s on stock suspension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exploder001

Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to having Explorers and I'm looking to buy another 2001-2003 Explorer Sport/Sporttrac. I've just bought a set of used 31x10.50r15 BFG All Terrains and when I buy an Explorer I'll be putting the 31s on ether a 15x8 or a 15x10. I'd REALLY like to mount them on 15x10s with 3.75 inches of backspacing because I'd love explorers with "Stance" but I'm worried I'd have to cut the @&$% out of the inner fender and front clip to try and clear 31s on wheels with that much offset. I know from personal experience with my last Explorer that you can clear 31s on stock 15x7s with no lift and not rub anywhere, but I'm not sure about stepping up to a 15x10. I'll be doing a torsion twist which will hopefully lift it 2-3 inches but I'm just wondering if anyone's tried a setup like this or similar and what they're experience. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

15x8 on BFGoodrich 31x10.5 at stock height.

Note: This truck hit something on its front left side under previous ownership.

The front left wheel was grabbing the inner edge of the front bumper hard and it was a lot worse with the wheel turned to the right while in reverse. I've trimmed away a lot of the plastic where it was grabbing. MOST, but not all of the tire rubbing is gone. On the front right there was no rubbing at all. Soon after these pictures were taken I cranked the stock torsion bar bolts 1 and a half turns from stock height. The front left still rubs when moving in reverse while the wheel is turned to the right.

I'm sure that if this truck had not hit something there wouldn't be any tire rubbing.
20160716_200540_zpstzyesmg2.jpg

20160716_200516_zps71mzvddn.jpg

20160731_172828_zpsigbzjij7.jpg

If "This truck hit something on its front left side under previous ownership." have you had the front end alignment checked?
With 31's on my 2005 ST I get rubbing on turns - some Dremel work on the fender liners was needed.

Nope, depending on the bs and wheel, 15's will just barely clear the calipers.

correct me if I am wrong,
Do you not need 16" wheels to clear the brake calipers?

Where you'll need to be careful is with the weights. On the front left tire on mine the inside weight was a flat stick-on and the caliper peeled it right off right after I put the wheel on. Thankfully there is no noticeable imbalance as a result.

To Fredness, my front end was aligned less than 2 months ago just before I put these wheels onto my truck. I chock it up to the body parts on the left being pushed back from whatever it hit. All of my front end components have been freshened up over the last year with the addition of camber kits on both sides and replacing the passenger side 2pc upper arm with a 1pc. Moog arm.

15x8 on BFGoodrich 31x10.5 at stock height.

Note: This truck hit something on its front left side under previous ownership.

The front left wheel was grabbing the inner edge of the front bumper hard and it was a lot worse with the wheel turned to the right while in reverse. I've trimmed away a lot of the plastic where it was grabbing. MOST, but not all of the tire rubbing is gone. On the front right there was no rubbing at all. Soon after these pictures were taken I cranked the stock torsion bar bolts 1 and a half turns from stock height. The front left still rubs when moving in reverse while the wheel is turned to the right.

I'm sure that if this truck had not hit something there wouldn't be any tire rubbing.
20160716_200540_zpstzyesmg2.jpg

20160716_200516_zps71mzvddn.jpg

20160731_172828_zpsigbzjij7.jpg
Wow so if you rub with 15x8s I'm assuming I'd rub ALOT more with some 15x10s with the same tires.

The worst of the rubbing still happens when I'm in reverse with the steering turned at full right.

The worst of the rubbing still happens when I'm in reverse with the steering turned at full right.
About how much do your wheels and tires stick out past the fenders?

They don't stick out. I don't like the look of wheels sticking out. I like them flush with the fender edge. I like best for the wheels to fill in most of the wheel well. The stock 16x7 rims remind me of when a little girl with small feet wears a big dress.
20160901_184814_zpsoizvjmwh.jpg

They don't stick out. I don't like the look of wheels sticking out. I like them flush with the fender edge. I like best for the wheels to fill in most of the wheel well. The stock 16x7 rims remind me of when a little girl with small feet wears a big dress.
20160901_184814_zpsoizvjmwh.jpg
Hahaha do you know how much backspacing your 15x8s have?

-27mm offset
FB_IMG_1472845714599_zpsp4jwwkuu.jpg

FB_IMG_1472845722560_zpsqeey8nvb.jpg

Hi I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to having Explorers and I'm looking to buy another 2001-2003 Explorer Sport/Sporttrac. I've just bought a set of used 31x10.50r15 BFG All Terrains and when I buy an Explorer I'll be putting the 31s on ether a 15x8 or a 15x10. I'd REALLY like to mount them on 15x10s with 3.75 inches of backspacing because I'd love explorers with "Stance" but I'm worried I'd have to cut the @&$% out of the inner fender and front clip to try and clear 31s on wheels with that much offset. I know from personal experience with my last Explorer that you can clear 31s on stock 15x7s with no lift and not rub anywhere, but I'm not sure about stepping up to a 15x10. I'll be doing a torsion twist which will hopefully lift it 2-3 inches but I'm just wondering if anyone's tried a setup like this or similar and what they're experience. Thanks.
What were the results? Would 31x10r15 work for the 01 on a 15x7 wheel?

What were the results? Would 31x10r15 work for the 01 on a 15x7 wheel? If not what adjustment do I need to make in the sizing? I have some bf Goodrich tires at that size and I'd like to buy only the wheels if at all possible

Back