2001 Sport Airbag Warning Light!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Airbag Warning Light!!!

tturse

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey All,

So we just purchased a 2001 Sport with 35k miles- really nice truck but a couple of days after we bought it the airbag warning light started coming on and off and then stayed on all the time. Took it to the dealer and they said they fixed it and that it was a bad side airbag connection under the seat. after 2 or 3 days the light came back on and we took it back and they are now saying that they don't have a fix for this and they are waiting for an answer from Ford and it could be 4-6 weeks or longer!!! Anyone have any experience with this problem- it seems if I disconnect both harnesses and spray connector spray and re-connect the light stays of for a few days? This is really annoying!!!

TIA,

Thomas
Denver, CO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really- nobady has even been in the back seat yet.?

Yeah pretty common problem.
I am not sure EXACTALY what is taking place. I will assume some sort of static build up or something.
Does your Ex have side air bags ?
If you spray any thing in there just make sure it is NON CONDUCTIVE..
I have seen this occour in my own Ex and other Fords we have had in the shop.
To tell you the honest truth, I pull the connector, blow in there a few times and I am back in business. Mine has not come back on in 10 months now and none of my customers have returned.

Try isolating the connector more.
Some good 3M electrical tape. Get it up off the carpet.
I hope this helps.

Back