Solved - 2001 Sport doesn't want to start in Park? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 2001 Sport doesn't want to start in Park?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

BamaB2

Reaction score
City, State
Hartselle, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'86 B2
2001 Explorer Sport, 4.0, 2wd, Automatic

My son's 2001 Sport occasionally will not start with the transmission in Park. It will sometimes start in Park after shifting through gears and back. It will start in Neutral. I'm guessing it's the Neutral Safety Switch? Can you adjust it or just replace? Is it still called the Neutral Safety Switch? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had this problem with my explorer a couple weeks ago it was the Neutral safety switch very easy to replace its on the driverside of the transmission 1 big bolt holding the shift link and then 2 small bolts holding the switch on. Make sure you line up the new one to match the old. Replacing it is the best option because it will go out here soon

Thanks guys. I suspected it had a different name. I'll ckeck out the linkage while I'm at it. Shouldn't be a bad part to replace if needed.

Turdle, you nailed it. Loose linkage under the dash. Tighten two torx bolts and good as new. Thanks brother.

A free fix i the best kind-glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for posting the update!:thumbsup:

Marking this solved, hopefully it will help somebody in the future.

Back