2001 sport mystery noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 sport mystery noises

balnisj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ex. Sport
I have a 2001 ex sport and I have two mysterious noises that no one can solve. I've been to the stealership several times with no results.

1. When I'm turning corners or certain road conditions where there is left to right body movement I hear a pop sound on the drivers side. It sounds almost like its in the cab or the door.

2. When I hit a bump my passenger front tire you hear a rattling/clunking noise. I replaced tie rods and inspect for loose parts. If I hit the bottom of the tie rod (new and old) I can almost hear it. What would casue this?

Thanks for any help/ideas

Hard to diagnose, but here goes:

1. Your door striker bushing, or door hinges may be worn out. Check your bushing first - see if its visibly worn. You can also grab the door and muscle it up and down to check for play in the hinges and in the striker. Check your sway bar link bushings - I've had these completely missing from multiple Explorers and they will make a racket.

2. Check your upper and lower control arm bushings, shock bushings, upper and lower ball joints. Check your brake caliper mounting bolts, these have a tendency to loosen. If it's 2WD, tighten your wheel bearing. 4WD models have a sealed bearing; 2WD uses an unsealed adjustable bearing.

Back