2001 sport no windshield wipers, power windows, radio or sunroof. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 sport no windshield wipers, power windows, radio or sunroof.

TmiimG

Reaction score
City, State
Anderson SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
Hi everyone, I have an '01 explorer sport. A few days ago we were having a heavy rain. I pulled into a store parking lot and turned off the wipers and went inside. When I came back out the wipers wouldn't turn back on. The radio power windows and power sunroof were inop as well.
I searched the Web For an accessory fuse sence the fuse box isn't labled... found no fuse blown but that the accessory relay was likely the culprit. So I went next door to an auto parts store and bought a relay but none of the diagrams of the relay box that I can find online match mine.
I did notice that the same relay is used for several applications so I swapped the new one in the 2 or 3 locations I could find with no luck.
I'd this relay hidden somewhere else on the 01 sport or should I be looking for another problem

I am really disappointed that Ford didn't see fit to put a key to the location of the fuses and relays on these vehicles.

Thanks,
Timmy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you got speedometer? If not, it might be related to the gem module, some times with this you need to, replace the gem, best shot is to get a used one, mew ones are expensive. Had the same problem and I was lucky, it tirned out to be only an electrical short in the drivers door, and the gem was shutting itself off for autoprotection. Antrim to the automotive electrician, some new cable and 50 bucks later, and it has been great ever since.

Oh also check if you have a leak in the windshield, water comes in and drips exactly in the gem module and it corrodes the electrical parts.

Maybe? :scratch: There is also a known issue with the multi function switch (MFS) and connector when the wheel is tilted.

#16 30A Windshield Wiper Motor, Wiper Hi-Lo Relay, Wiper Run/Park Relay
#20 7.5A Generic Electronic Module (GEM), Radio, Moonroof Relay, Power Window Relay, Power Down Back Window

FUSES AND RELAYS (Page 149+)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...lorerSportTrac-version-5_om_EN-US_01_2001.pdf

The reason I linked a Sport Trac Manual.
The 01-03 Sport has EXACTLY the same front end as the 2001-2005 Sport Trac .....NO difference.
They are totally different from the regular 4-door Explorer.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2622504&postcount=9

Speedometer works fine. As far as I can tell everything else is working.
I have seen a lot of talk about the short in the door jamb but didn't look there since it seems that my issues differ from other I've read that turned out to be the door jamb area.
I will read up on the links posted and see what I can find.

Thanks,
Timmy

Maybe? :scratch: There is also a known issue with the multi function switch (MFS) and connector when the wheel is tilted.

#16 30A Windshield Wiper Motor, Wiper Hi-Lo Relay, Wiper Run/Park Relay
#20 7.5A Generic Electronic Module (GEM), Radio, Moonroof Relay, Power Window Relay, Power Down Back Window

FUSES AND RELAYS (Page 149+)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...lorerSportTrac-version-5_om_EN-US_01_2001.pdf

The reason I linked a Sport Trac Manual.

Thanks for the info and I am glad to know that the Explorer sport and the sport trac are more alike than the std explorer.
Turned out to be the fuse # 20.
I guess I must have overlooked it the other day.

Thanks again,
Timmy

Back