• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport PCV Valve removal

wc1971

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
I know this is an age old question but I couldnt find anything on how to remove the pvc valve once I found it..

I have all the hoses disconnected but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the pvc valve out of the valve cover.

Any help would be appreciated.

W.C.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish mine were that easy.. this thing is on the back side of the driver side valve cover facing the firewall with almost no room to move..

I had a buddy check alldata for the replacement instructions and all it says is to remove the hose, the coolant hoses and pipe, and then unlock it and remove.
I can't figure out how to unlock it..

From what I gather the pcv valve is in a housing that is connected to the valve cover.

The pcv valve itself doesn't have any threads..

Unfortunately none of the diagrams looked like mine..

I am giving up for tonight.. I will resume this tomorrow..

How to get this PCV valve out of the valve cover will be in my nightmares for sure..

The ford disc has the same diagram as my buddy got from alldata..
It just says to remove the hoses, unlock the valve and remove it.

I am having difficulty with the unlocking part.

wc1971 said:
The ford disc has the same diagram as my buddy got from alldata..
It just says to remove the hoses, unlock the valve and remove it.

I am having difficulty with the unlocking part.

You mean the plastic clip that holds it behind the intake? Just break the seal and pull it out, the plastic clip can stay intake. If you really want to unclip it the you have to work on side up and the other down. It'll seperate.

The PCV valve is a slip fit but sticks like any other hose fit. I assume you've bought the new valve. Notice how it doesn't look the same once you get the old one off. The Plastic tube connectors are probably different. If so, pull it off the pvc valve and use a t-fitting.

Jakee

So it should just pull straight out?

You are on the passagers side behind the intake right? Hold the hose in one hand and the actual valve in the other. Pull the valve up will holding the hose in it's position. You don't want to pull the lower hose with the valve. You might have to rock the valve back in forth just a little while holding the bottom hose just to get the hose free. It should come out after a few busted knuckles.

Actually the valve is on the drivers side ont he end of the valve cover facing the firewall. It is totally different from any of the pictures I have found in the threads here.. I will snap a pic when I get home and post it..

Got It!!!!

I finally figured it out.. I will post pics and a step by step account of what I did soon...

Thanks for everyones input!

PCV Valve removed

Here is what I found during my PITA experience with this.

1. The PCV Valve is located on the rear of the driver side valve cover facing the firewall. It has the pcv hose connected and a coolant line snapped to the Valve. ( I had to unbolt the bracket that holds the coil pack and move it forward to make room)

2. Turn the PCV valve counter clockwise 1/4 turn to unlock it from the valve cover. (I had to use a pair of long channel locks to get a decent grip on the valve.)

Here is a photo of the pcv once removed from the truck.

Notice that the one removed from the truck is different from the one sold to me by the dealer as the correct part.

Proper part number is Motorcraft EV-243.

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with the SOHC 4.0 6. Made in OCT/2000.

I hope this helps someone..

Okay, Just for eveyone's knowledge, when i bought the part for my 2001 Sport, I got the one with the metal tube around it! Completly wrong for my application. I needed a EV-124 I think? So, there is diffenatly a split year difference with the 2001 Explorer sport.

Anyways, Glad you got it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The incorrect PCV came from the dealer... I am headed back there tomorrow to see about getting the correct part.

Here is another weird thing about my Explorer.. It has a Flex-Fuel fuel filter.. but it is not a flex fuel vehicle. I ran the vin etc... I bought it used with 18 k on it in 2002 so I doubt it was converted. Not sure how I would find out.

Back