2001 Sport PCV Valve removal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport PCV Valve removal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2001 Sport PCV Valve removal (with pics)

The pcv valve came from the dealer..

Thanks for the rating.. I will post pics of the reinstall once I get the part tomorrow.

The main thing about the filter that is different it the inlet is bigger than the outlet. Once I realized the filter that came up at the parts store was not going to fit I went to the dealer and they pulled a flex-fuel fuel filter and lox and behold it fit!.. The other big difference was the price.. about 17.00....

Thanks.

Wow, thanks for posting those pictures! Saved me a bunch of time and frustration. I have a 2001 Sport with the same exact PCV valve. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out how to get that damn thing off, so I just decided to leave it alone and see if maybe someone on here would know the answer. BINGO!! Thanks a million!

2001 Sport PCV Valve removal (with pics)

Glad to help! This is a great place for info on these beasts..

Okay, Just for eveyone's knowledge, when i bought the part for my 2001 Sport, I got the one with the metal tube around it! Completly wrong for my application. I needed a EV-124 I think? So, there is diffenatly a split year difference with the 2001 Explorer sport.

Anyways, Glad you got it!
For everyone's info. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 Liter 2x2 and most time if I need a part I would have to ask for the 2001 year. I was told by Ford people that the 2002 is actually a mid-year model (i.e. a 2001 and 1/2) !! That solved a lot of my search problems for parts including the 1/4 twist PVC valve and numerous other parts! Good Luck Dudes...Love the Forums... Frank R.

Thanks wc1971, PCV replacement on 03 x/xls is easy!!

Thanks for all your great info. My project looked difficult at first, but after reading all your posts I got more comfortable at the idea of tackling my pcv valve replacement. I bought the part at the dealer (EV-243, same as yours,) and on my Explorer there was only one hose connected to the pcv, nothing else...no coolant line. I just reached behind the drivers side valve cover and pulled off the hose and twisted out the old pcv with my thumb and index finger and twisted in the new one the same way and reconnected the hose. Total elapsed time.....10 min. It's funny how the jobs that look hard go so smooth and the easy looking ones are...well...you know. My '96 x/xlt pcv replacement was a lot tougher than this one.

By EPA mandate, manufacturers are now required under OBDII to guarantee that the PCV valve remains attached to the engine. IIRC, this new rule was phased in during 2001/2002 or thereabouts. A vehicle manufacturer can either:
  • use the PCM to monitor the actual flow rate using a flowmeter or other measuring device; or
  • provide a "positive retention" mounting method for the PCV valve.
Ford and many other manufacturers use the second method because it is cheaper, easier and should be more reliable. Unfortunately for us, the new rule means that the days of a painless, 1-minute PCV valve installation are probably over. To add insult to injury, the cost of the positive retention valve has roughly tripled from that of the old push in type.

My 02 Ranger factory shop manual says nothing about where the PCV is located or how to release it. The first one I did cost me about 20 minutes and a pint of blood to get it off.

The location of the PCV varies among the many applications of the 4.0L. Some, like the 2001+ Rangers and Explorer Sports and probably some of the Tracs, have the valve crammed into the small area between the back of the DS valve cover and the firewall.

Here's the complete replacement valve with its 1/3 turn screw in mount and locking clips. The horseshoe coolant tube around the outside is to discourage the formation of ice inside the valve in cold climates - the coolant tube and the razor sharp constant tension clamps on the coolant hoses just add to the fun.

attachment.php

i figured it out myself but i ended up breaking that plastic clamp around the hose because i tightened it to much:(

Way to necro a thread pj!

When I replaced the PCV I also tossed out the Elbow that went with it. I seemed fine, but I figured it was ten years old couldnt hurt to replace it. I couldnt find it on the shelf anywhere so I used some rubber vac hose in it's place. Unfortunately, that hose doesnt like being bent into an "s" and pinched closed. The only place to get this part is the dealer, and it cost $19.17 and I was told that was a sale price, normally it's $27.

PCV Valve removed

Here is what I found during my PITA experience with this.

1. The PCV Valve is located on the rear of the driver side valve cover facing the firewall. It has the pcv hose connected and a coolant line snapped to the Valve. ( I had to unbolt the bracket that holds the coil pack and move it forward to make room)

pcvlocation.JPG
[/IMG]

2. Turn the PCV valve counter clockwise 1/4 turn to unlock it from the valve cover. (I had to use a pair of long channel locks to get a decent grip on the valve.)

Here is a photo of the pcv once removed from the truck.
pcv2.JPG

Notice that the one removed from the truck is different from the one sold to me by the dealer as the correct part.

Proper part number is Motorcraft EV-243.

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with the SOHC 4.0 6. Made in OCT/2000.

I hope this helps someone..

Thank you, this is very helpful but why are the photos gone?

I'm going insane trying to work on this Ford for simple maintenance.... totally ruining my ownership experience...

Back