2001 Sport Saleen Sway bar questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Saleen Sway bar questions

Black Magic

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Street
Ok, I just spent about 2 hours reading all the old posts I could find about Anti-sway bars, Saleen, Explorer Express, 91-94 and 95-97. However, I have a 2001 sport and have ordered the Saleen front and rear bars (got a really good deal for the set $50 new.) So I need to see if there is a difference in the 01 to 95-97 or 98+. I would assume that I DO fall in to the 98+ with the 01 sport. Anyone with an 01 ever put on sway bars? I guess I will take the bars out to see parts shop when they get here for bushings (I think from what I read in all the other posts sway bars like to go "in hand" to the shop.:D ) Oh well, please let me know if anyone has any insite on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need the front one, as the Saleen bar is just a 98+ bar powdercoated red. So I guess you're selling that one or your old one. As for the bushings, I just drilled my stock ones out a bit.

Thanks, is it solid or is there no difference what so ever? I will replace the front anyway just to be "cool":D. I will go with the new bushings and shocks. I can't wait. The new suspension is to keep the new 20's under control.

Pics as soon as I get them on.

The only difference should be the color. It was my understanding that 98+ front bars are solid, as is the Saleen bar. I think Saleen just used Ford bars and coated them.

The stock front bar is 1-3/8
The Saleen front bar is 1-1/2
I got more performance improvement by installing the front bar than I did from the rear.
The front sway bar bushings are split so they are easy to put on. The rear bushings are solid, and are a **** to get on the bar

The front Saleen bar also "tapers in" more and gives better clearance but 275/55/17's still rub a little:

bar_rub2.JPG

I recommend using only genuine:
koni_logo.jpg

Shocks

FrankRizzo, Thank you! I thought the front was better but just looking for a little reassurance.

It looks like you used stock bushings, correct?

If so why did you not go with poly?

Thanks again!

No poly because I can't stand the noise.

Hold on while I put on my flame-proof suit......

IMHO, poly busings do almost nothing for the aftermarket bars except squeak annoyingly.

If you are going to get poly, get the ones made by Energy Suspension with the zerk fittings so you can grease them.

How much bigger is the Saleen rear bar versus the stock item? I thought that Ford had finally installed a bigger OD sway bar on the rear than previous years.

Back