• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac 4x4 problems

Markek

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
Turned my 4x4 switch on for the first time today (yes, im the idiot that didn't try it when I was test driving it).

Lights didn't not come on but I heard clicking in the glove compartment. Unplugged the module and plugged back in. Module looks in really good shape. All fuses look good.

Tapped on transfer case motor underneath truck and 4x4 High light come on.
Test drove it and it seemed like it was in 4x4. Not sure but seemed like Low to me.

4x4 Low light never came on (it did when starting the truck).

Then I couldn't get it out of 4x4. High light stayed on the whole time. Unplugged battery and did not help.

Finally tapped on motor some more and finally feels like its back in 2WD.

Do I have a bad Transfer Case Motor??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I will order a transfer case motor. Although I'm not real mechanically inclined it looks like a diy project that I think I can do and the most logically place to start.

Am I better off buying a new or reconditioned one?

At least with my 04 trac, I have to put it in neutral in order for it to go into 4low.

So, I found out when I initially unplugged the 4x4 module that it wasn't the 4x4 module I was actually unplugging. Found the real module and unplugged and plugged back in and lights on the 4high came on and off when I used it.

The low did not come on but I didn't mess with it too much because I was afraid to get it stuck in 4wheel drive again.

I now need to determine if 4high was actually working when the light was on somehow. I guess it narrows it down that I probably will need to replace the 4x4 module fairly soon.

4 low can only be shifted into in neutral with foot on the brake and level ground. I've tried shifting into 4 low every which way, as I use 4 low quite a bit in the sand dunes.

As far as being able to tell if you are in 4 high, make a sharp corner at low speeds on dry pavement, it will seem like it's binding up as front wheel are trying to drive and turn.

Back