• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac 6 Bolt Wheels

alpha26

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville,MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport trac
Hi I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the Sport Trac. My sister died and left me a 01 Sport Trac with 32K miles. It now has 47K but I need to change the front brake rotors and ran into a problem. This vehicle was built with 6 bolt hubs and axles. Ford even claims it came with 5 bolt wheels by the VIN # but I swear she didn't work on it at all. I have not found any auto parts store that has any other information. Any information would be appreciated. Great site by the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Sorry to hear of your loss.

You will get a better response if you post you question in the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac Sub Forum. Click here to go there now.

Welcome. I also am sorry to hear of your loss.

I moved this thread to the sport trac sub forum as linked above.

Also, can you please get some pictures of these wheels? You can get a free photo account on photobucket.com

When taking your pictures please use a ruler or tape measure placed alongside the lug nuts. Thanks

I am curious how this happened, and wonder if some didn't just use wheel spacers-adapters to get these wheels to fit. Remove a wheel to check this---

Sorry to hear of your loss, Alpha :/

Welcome to the forums!! that is pretty strange about the 6 bolt hubs..... was she the first owner? Nice low mileage, that's for sure!

In the 5.0 Mustang crowd, it's common to change from 4-bolt to 5-bbolt - all you need is Lincoln rotors up front, and some kind of aerostar or ranger axles in back, plus the wheels, of course. If you had to do the brakes anyway, it was basically effortless and just cost the price of axles, which isn't too much and alot of people upgraded to run slicks.

Point being that it's not THAT unlikely a mod. What wheels does it have?

Edit -sorry for your loss, I also inherited a car from my sister, an '80 vw rabbit, many years ago, and there are still many times every week that I have to tell certain thoights to shut up and go away unless I have time to sit around and be bummed out for a while. It doesn't really get any easier, you just learn ways of not thinking about it when you're trying to get things done, which thankfully is most of the time...

Anyway, is it possible that your ST was originally a program car or something? Maybe the guy that owned the dealership had it converted to 3/4 ton, or his kid had his heart set on some 6-spoke/lug tuner wheels which he took off to trade in, assuming it now has some kind of OEM wheels.

In the 5.0 Mustang crowd, it's common to change from 4-bolt to 5-bbolt - all you need is Lincoln rotors up front, and some kind of aerostar or ranger axles in back, plus the wheels, of course. If you had to do the brakes anyway, it was basically effortless and just cost the price of axles, which isn't too much and alot of people upgraded to run slicks.

Point being that it's not THAT unlikely a mod. What wheels does it have?

True, but this would need a 6 bolt unit hub splined to fit the axle.

I still think it has 5 bolt hubs with 6 bolt adapters

True, but this would need a 6 bolt unit hub splined to fit the axle.

I still think it has 5 bolt hubs with 6 bolt adapters

I would agree... Im assuming she was the original owner with the low mileage it has... adapters would be more likely than different hubs and what not.

Sorry about the loss of your sister man.

Just throwing this out there but was it converted to a Solid Axle Swap on the front with a Jeep Grand Wagoneer Dana 44? This would explain the 6 bolt pattern. Could also have wheel adapters.

Lol I've been wondering what the verdict was too.

My apologies. Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away. I knew you guys could solve this. I went to take a picture of the axle and hub bolt pattern to post and could only find 5. I must have been hallucinatin. I looked at the hubs with the wheels off and I swear there were 6 studs. Since I didn't remove the wheels it never occured to me there were only 5. I can't physically work on vehicles any more and now must have lost my mind too. Sorry for the stupid question & the sleepless nights. I plead insanity.

LOL, it's ok man. You weren't seeing things. There's six bolts there, five wheel studs/ lugnuts and one CV Axle stud and nut. LOL

:D

Dang, I was hoping for a cool story about why it has 6! At least you know you are 'normal' lol..

Stick around - lots of good information here!

Well, at least now we know several ways it COULD be done - maybe somebody will do this and post here... Probably not.

When I do my SAS, SOA I think I might keep the 6 bolt pattern Grand Waggy rotors and change out the rear axle shafts to Chrome Moly 's with a 6 bolt hub just to be different.

Back