• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2001 Sport Trac ... Engine "Problem" & Replacement

esromj

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
My Sport Trac has suffered a major blow. I just got the call today from a mechanic in Chicago that the engine had a cam chain failure on bank 2 and is in need of replacement. It has 157,000 miles and I bought it 2 years ago with 131,000 miles.

The mechanic told me replacing the engine would be $2600-3000 with a 6-month/6000 mile warranty, fully installed. I believe it's worth $5500-6500 with a running engine and much less without. I believe it's worth repairing since the rest of the vehicle is generally sound.

Does this price seem reasonable? Does anyone in the Chicago or southern Wisconsin area have a recommended shop to deal with this sort of issue? I would also consider selling it if there's anyone in the area looking for a project.

Is it worth getting a remanufactured engine instead of an unknown 'used' engine the shop finds?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tech By Trade

Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
20+ hr job. All in, probably ball park. An engine from a wrecker will run you around 1200. Newer the better, and any 4.0 SOHC from a sport trac to a land rover will work. Make sure he pops the valve covers on whatever he replaces it with and checks the guides.

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
That's about right. If you don't get a reman, like said above make sure to go ahead and check/replace the rear chains and guides.

esromj

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I have decided to get a remanufactured engine. It's expensive but I didn't want to be worried that a replacement used engine would already be on the decline.

I ordered it from Gearhead Engines / LKQ Corp. for just under $2400 plus core deposit.

esromj

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Last edited:

SoCal2V

Reaction score
City, State
see username
Year, Model & Trim Level
see sig for vehicles
^ Where on or near the engine is that from? Looks like it got cooked...

esromj

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I don't know, the mechanic just sent me a picture of it. I found out it's a crankcase vent oil separator assembly and it goes somewhere on the bottom of the engine, like Ford part number F77Z-6A785-AB.

esromj

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Update: my truck is back on the road now and running well.

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Engine replacement

If you keep this S/T plan on changing the tensioners at 75k