2001 Sport Trac Hello and 4x4 transfer problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Hello and 4x4 transfer problem

KellyC

Reaction score
City, State
salem, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
Hello everyone. I've had a 2001 explorer sport trac for 8 years and have used the valuable advice here on several occasions. My 4x4 would not engage - no lights, no noises, nothing. I learned that the vast majority of the time this was due to a faulty transfer module. I replaced the transfer module and when I turned the ignition the indicator lights 4x4 indicator lights flashed on. The 4x4 will not engage, the 4x4 lights will not come on, and the transfer module makes a clicking noise. I didn't find this particular problem in the forum so I thought I'd become a member and post the question. Any ideas?

Thought I'd give the thread a bump. I see that it's been viewed a few times. Nobody has any ideas?

You replaced the module behind the right kick panel? Check the connector at the shift motor for corrosion. If all of that fails remove the shift motor and shift it manually through the range and back with a pair of pliers. When you remove the motor you will see a triangular shaft, turn it. Be sure to put it back in its original position. Still no shift, I'd say the motor is bad.

You have mail.

Great. Thanks so much. I'll give this a shot.

Back