• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport trac Helpp!!!

TheSportMAN

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SportTrac 4wd
I have a 01 sport trac with the 4.0 sohc engine, in recent months the engine has been making noise and progressively getting louder and louder. I thought maybe it could be timing chain issues but i want to make sure before i go out and spend the money on tools and parts to fix it, any help would be much appreciated. Heres a link to the engine running sorry about not having a video just sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXt2E1UGL8&list=UUX5tDOTOtvsekMX6O6ThTog&index=1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the tensioner and chains. would be better with a video, not just sound. Which side does it sound like it's coming from?

The link was incorrect, i changed the link the video should be able to play now, btw nice Sport Trac you have there sir !!!!

The video was taking from the left side if that helps, the sound seems to be coming from the right rear but i am not 100% sure

IIRC there's a chain on the front and rear of the right side of the motor, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is your 4.0 a Job1 or Job2 motor? The oil filler neck is on the right side for Job2.

It is a Job 1 motor,i thought there was one on the rear right, one on the front left and two others but i also could be wrong. Im just trying to make sure of what the noise is before i pull the motor.

If you can climb under the truck and listen closely to the cats and pre-cats. The more I listen to the sound clip it reminds me of when my driverside precat broke apart and sent all the pieces into the main cat it sounded similar to that. I ended up replacing the y-pipe and main cat with Random Technology stainless steel parts from Zabteck. actually saved about $400 over oem parts plus the y-pipe is pre-cat delete and the main cat is a high flow single cat instead of the oem dual cat. The outlet pipe from the cat also increased in diameter from 2.25" to 2.5".

I'm leaning more towards the tensioner though.

Ill have to look into the cats tomorrow but if they did break apart wouldnt that throw a code , but from what ive read it would appear that its a broken tensioner. Thanks for the quick reply ill let you know what i find out.

It wouldn't throw a code right away, didn't on mine anyway. It sounds like the chains or chain is slapping the engine.

Upon further inspection with my mechanics stethoscope i have located the noise is coming somewhere from the front right lower, so presumably a chain maybe?

So what your saying is you think its the front right lower chain

Sounds like the front passenger side chain, yes.

Yay Im gonna have a busy weekend ahead of me lol thanks for all your help guys, ill let you know what i find when i tear into it.

Another thing i forgot to mention is some days its quiet and other days its not don't know if that makes a difference or not on what it could be.

Another thing i forgot to mention is some days its quiet and other days its not don't know if that makes a difference or not on what it could be.

Warm vs. cold days? My engine rattles a little more on cold days.

It rattles more on cold vs warm but not always sometimes it doesn't matter if its cold or warm

Back