Solved - 2001 Sport Trac - no crank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 2001 Sport Trac - no crank

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01,'02, '04 Sport Tracs,
My 18 yr old moved out 2 weeks ago and took my '01 Sport Trac with her. (It is our "spare" vehicle - her boyfriend is driving her car.) She came over tonight, and mentioned the turn signals weren't working. Neither were the brake lights. I started checking fuses, but because it's cold, windy, and dark, I quickly gave up on that and checked the forum. Found the answer to that problem right away - moved the tilt wheel up, and everything works!! Thanks guys!!

But when she got in to leave, the truck wouldn't crank - no click or anything. Cold, dark and windy, plus too close to bedtime. I'll investigate further in the daylight after work. Is this likely related to wiring in the column as well, or did I get a fuse back in the wrong place, or maybe blow one? Everything else electrical seems to be working.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the daylight, and with much less howling wind, it does sound like it's trying to send power to the starter. The battery checked at only 12v, so it's on the charger now, and disconnected from the truck. Positive terminal needed cleaned, so I did that. 12v probably is enough for everything to work except the starter.

I also noticed the theft light continues to blink when the key is turned to on or start. Same steady pace as is normal. Is this likely related to the low battery, or should I be looking at the wiring and connections in the steering column? It's been starting with no problems as far as I know, until I "fixed" the turn signal/brake light problem by moving the tilt wheel out of the lowest position. Moving the steering wheel to different positions has no effect on the current no crank problem.

The battery is disconnected while it is on the charger.

Need some help figuring this out!

Charging the battery did not make a difference. Everything electrical seems to work, except nothing happens when the key is turned to start. THEFT light continues to blink at a normal steady pace regardless of key position. It acts like it doesn't recognize the key, or at least the key position.

Again, this started right after moving the steering wheel up out of the lowest position. I did pull some fuses and put them back in before moving the wheel. Might have put one back in the wrong place, but doubtful.

Broken wire/connection in the column? Fuse? I need to get this truck going soon, but probably won't do much til Sat when I have plenty of daylight.

The truck might have lost the security code. This happened to a friends truck. Had to tow it to the dealer to get it reprogrammed.
Dave p.

From what I've read in other posts, the theft light would be flashing faster when the key is turned if it had lost the code. This one continues to flash at it's normal speed when the key is turned - same speed as it's flashing before the key is inserted.

Did you check fuse 24 on the driver side dash or the starter relay in the battery junction box under the hood? I had this happen a couple times and not sure why, but it had to do with the gear selector, and when I started messing with it, it started, a fluke I guess.

I did check fuse 24, and even swapped it with fuse 24 in my '02 Trac. I have not checked the relay. Thanks for the suggestion.

Neutral safety switch? Try to put it in neutral to see if it cranks...grasping at straws here.

Tried that, and tried moving the shifter to other positions, too. I really think the problem is stretched/broken wires or connections in the steering column. That's a known problem with tilt steering columns. I should be able to get off early today and be able to get into it in the daylight. Kinda hard to deal with in the cold and dark!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I got off work early and spent most of the afternoon trying to figure this out.

I checked the wiring to the multifunction switch first. The locking tabs are broken off the connector, so it was loose. And some of the wires were loose in the connector - i.e. come out the back of the connector - and probably weren't firmly connected. At least none of them are broken. I think I have them connected well now.

Then I swapped batteries with the '02. Also traded starter relays between the 2 trucks temporarily. I even swapped a couple of relays within the fuse/relay box under the hood. Checked all the fuses.

Still won't start. One of the relays in the fuse/relay box under the hood clicks once when the key is turned to "on", and again when it's turned to "start". I don't think it's going to start until I figure out why the THEFT light isn't behaving like it should and I get that fixed.

Is your 01 Trac a Job 1 or Job 2 model? I have a lot of wiring diagrams for 01-02.

Good question. It is, or was, a Job 1, but now has a Job 2 engine. I don't know what was changed with the engine swap. The layout of the fuse box under the hood is a little different than my '02 ST. I have the wiring manual for 2002, but not '01.

Some of the Job 1 wiring is different than the Job 2, but not a whole lot. I have all the wiring diagrams for an 01. I could send them to you if you like.

That would be great!

Do you have a email or address I could send it to? It's like a 20 mb file, 387 pages.

power and ground

while turning the key do you have power at the starter solenoid? If you have power then i would check to see if you have a good ground.

while turning the key do you have power at the starter solenoid? If you have power then i would check to see if you have a good ground.

The solenoid on the starter is next to impossible to get to. I don't think the starter is getting power.

The THEFT light blinks every 2 seconds regardless of key position. It's supposed to blink every 2 seconds until the key is turned to "Run". Then it should be on solid for 3 seconds and go off (and not blink). It should go off when the key is turned to start. It should blink rapidly if the wrong key is inserted. But this one keeps blinking every 2 seconds whether the key is off, run or start. It seems to me the PATS isn't recognizing there is a key present at all.

I know it is a stupid question, but thinking of ANYTHING...have you tried a different key? Possibly something wrong there with the PATS system and it is the ignition keys fault?

My theft like was blinking the same way. Come to find out I had corrosion on my starter mounting face which caused a loss of ground. If you remove the vibration dampened thing from the axle stabilizer, the the starter is easy to get to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to the salvage yard today and got a good connector that plugs into the multifunction switch. The wires are held in the connector by plastic tabs. Pry the tabs out of the way, and the wires pull out the back. Several of the tabs were broken on the connector in my truck. I inserted my wires into the "new" connector, and plugged it into the multifunction switch. NO CHANGE, but at least I know the connections are all tight.

Yesterday I hooked up my scanner to see if there were any codes, but the scanner said it couldn't connect to the truck.

Back