2001 Sport Trac Stalling at Decelleration and Low Speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Stalling at Decelleration and Low Speeds

XST

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer ST
Hey all...

I will be as detailed as I can about this problem.

PROBLEM: 2001 2WD Ford Explorer Sport Trac Stalls When Coming to a Stop, or Going Slow around corners.

I noticed this problem quite a while ago, but have yet to find a solution from many of the forums im posting on.

Anyway.

Truck runsfine,100%. Starts, Idles,Drives like a dream(I take very good care of her) I have several mods to the vechile, but no problems arose after installing any, ran for a good year after the last mod before my current problem started.

The truck runs fine until it seems to get to standard operating temperature. Once this happens, out of no where it will stall on me while coming to a stop.The RPMS drop below 500 RPM, jump back up to 650-700 or so,then goes back down into a stall. It takes a secondor 2 to actually stall.

Once I do have it running after the stall, if I put it in gear without doing anything, it will stall immediately. The only way I seem to get it back into gear and driving is to REV the egine a couple times, then it will go into gear, and im on my way till it happens again, which is a stop or 2, or sometimes more or less.

I am getting used to it stalling now, so I can usually catch it, when I see/feel it starting to stall out on me, I put it quickly into NEUTRAL, and rev a couple times, and put it back into drive. I then can sit at the light, no problems, and take off no problem.

Things i've done to solve the problem:

I cleaned the IAC
I cleaned theThrottlebody
I cleaned the MAFS
I ReplacedtheVacuum line from the PCV to the EGR, tube, and elbows.
I replaced my fuel filter
I cleaned my intake tube &filter

I even took it to a transmission place to see if they could see anything wrong, and nothing they could identify, no shavings, etc in the pan.

I *DID* have the tranny rebuilt a year ago, due to the common 2nd to 3rd gear flair(That I ignored too long). Seems to have been 100% since then...

Any ideas anyone?

PS-I get NO DTC Codes.(I own an Xcal2)

I was having the same problem, but cleaning the IAC did the trick, maybe try some fuel injector cleaner :D, idk good luck

Take off the IAC, look at the spool valve inside. Specifically, look for shiny areas where the spool valve (the part that moves back and forth to regulate the air flow) may be rubbing. I think that it is possible that your IAC valve is sticking and causing the issue with the idle speed being too low.

My original IAC would intermittently fail in this manner, usually when restarting the engine after it was already warm. Replacement solved the issue.

Ill replace it tomrrow, see if that helps. Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill post if the problem continues.

Yours was only stalling when coming to a stop? Mine idles perfect any other time, only a problem when coming to a stop.

Back