• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport trac transmission help

xxxbigirshxxx

Reaction score
City, State
Shenandoah, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trad
Hi all! I'm new to the forums, and a very excited Sport Trac owner. First off, I've pretty much exhausted the search feature for an answer to my question, to no avail. I bought a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac yesterday, and will be picking it up tomorrow. It runs great, looks good, but the tranny has a problem. The guy I bought it off of said that it just stopped working on the the way home from work, and he had it towed and left it. When I got in the truck and tried to shift it into drive, I could feel it engage, but when I gave it gas it just barely moved. Same as above in reverse. The gentleman's wife said she wanted it out of her driveway, and I bought the truck for $600.:eek:

My question is this: I'm thinking that I might just have a tranny that's low on fluid. (No, I didn't check it for fear of "alerting" the owner that it was a stupid simple problem.) If not, could this be a valve body problem, or is it most likely a band/clutch problem? I couldn't find another thread detailing this exact problem for this tranny.

Thanks in advance for your replys, and I look forward to being a helpful member of this community! :)

Hi all! I'm new to the forums, and a very excited Sport Trac owner. First off, I've pretty much exhausted the search feature for an answer to my question, to no avail. I bought a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac yesterday, and will be picking it up tomorrow. It runs great, looks good, but the tranny has a problem. The guy I bought it off of said that it just stopped working on the the way home from work, and he had it towed and left it. When I got in the truck and tried to shift it into drive, I could feel it engage, but when I gave it gas it just barely moved. Same as above in reverse. The gentleman's wife said she wanted it out of her driveway, and I bought the truck for $600.:eek:

My question is this: I'm thinking that I might just have a tranny that's low on fluid. (No, I didn't check it for fear of "alerting" the owner that it was a stupid simple problem.) If not, could this be a valve body problem, or is it most likely a band/clutch problem? I couldn't find another thread detailing this exact problem for this tranny.

Thanks in advance for your replys, and I look forward to being a helpful member of this community! :)
most likely both of those 2 problems and torque convertor, start with a fluid/filter change, it may move, and if it does, move it to a transmission rebuild shop.

Back