• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Transmission

Kerry Cook

Reaction score
City, State
Williamstown, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I recently bought a 2001 Sport Trac with a bad engine (timing chain issue) that only has 136k miles on it. I’m rebuilding the engine but wondering if I need to do anything to the transmission before I reinstall the engine. What is the average mileage of these trucks before they start experiencing transmission problems?

I have a 2001 ST that I bought as a non-runner over 3 years ago. It had 184K on it. As far as I could tell the truck received little-to-no maintenance over it's lifetime.

To focus on the transmission, my fluid was black. It shifted perfectly and still does 15K+ later. All I did to it was a pan drop and filter change. After replacing 5 qts of Mercon V. The fluid is still very dark, but it still shifts perfectly. I had added a drain plug to the trans pan and planned on doing additional fluid changes, but due to a host of other issues with my truck I've never bothered.

I've read that the transmissions in the V6 Explorer trucks (the 5R55) are not the most reliable, but I figure with the abuse my truck suffered over its previous life I must have a pretty good one. The one issue I have is that if heavily stressed in reverse my band slips. I was told that this is likely being caused by a weak EPC solenoid because the reverse band/drum is very heavy duty (the EPC solenoid is a $40 part and it is a fairly easily DIY replaced part, but I haven't bothered with that either). I only use my ST around town and for trips to the dump.

I think the biggest thing that kills these transmissions (any automatic transmission) is heat, even with the OE trans cooler. I believe Ford recommends fluid and filter changes at 30K intervals.

In an over-abundance of caution, you could replace the valve body and solenoids, but with only 136K and that these are repairs that can be made with the transmission in the vehicle, I don't see the value in tearing it apart unless there's something wrong with it.

BTW - I do not recommend you have a reverse trans fluid flush done on your vehicle. If you want to get all the fluid changed (trans and torque converter) do it with 5 gal buckets through the trans cooler lines.

I have a 2001 ST that I bought as a non-runner over 3 years ago. It had 184K on it. As far as I could tell the truck received little-to-no maintenance over it's lifetime.

To focus on the transmission, my fluid was black. It shifted perfectly and still does 15K+ later. All I did to it was a pan drop and filter change. After replacing 5 qts of Mercon V. The fluid is still very dark, but it still shifts perfectly. I had added a drain plug to the trans pan and planned on doing additional fluid changes, but due to a host of other issues with my truck I've never bothered.

I've read that the transmissions in the V6 Explorer trucks (the 5R55) are not the most reliable, but I figure with the abuse my truck suffered over its previous life I must have a pretty good one. The one issue I have is that if heavily stressed in reverse my band slips. I was told that this is likely being caused by a weak EPC solenoid because the reverse band/drum is very heavy duty (the EPC solenoid is a $40 part and it is a fairly easily DIY replaced part, but I haven't bothered with that either). I only use my ST around town and for trips to the dump.

I think the biggest thing that kills these transmissions (any automatic transmission) is heat, even with the OE trans cooler. I believe Ford recommends fluid and filter changes at 30K intervals.

In an over-abundance of caution, you could replace the valve body and solenoids, but with only 136K and that these are repairs that can be made with the transmission in the vehicle, I don't see the value in tearing it apart unless there's something wrong with it.

BTW - I do not recommend you have a reverse trans fluid flush done on your vehicle. If you want to get all the fluid changed (trans and torque converter) do it with 5 gal buckets through the trans cooler lines.

Thanks koda2000 for the quick response to my question. I really appreciate it.

if the engine is out just remove the torque converter and drain it replace front seal while you're there then you can remove the pan change filter
roscoe

Back