2001 Sport with 4" Trailmaster

2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Just finished a grueling lift installation on a 2001 Explorer Sport. Over all I give the Trailmaster 4" 98-01 suspension kit a GOOD rating. The main reason the kit not being complete and installation instructions are also wrong in some areas. We had to do some things twice because of this. Overall it is a tough project, in my opinion, even with knowledge of lifts and minor customizing.

The front drive shaft is not long enough and this was the only major problem we had. A few modifications were difficult, but were more frustrating that anything else. It was a two full day project and we only had to make two runs for tools.

Rear drive shaft seems to operate fine. Steering is tight, but only tight enough not to let it return to center by itself. I remeber a few of you guys saying that was normal. If you could post on how long it took to break in and if you might have found a fix for this.

With the project finished it looks really good. We have pictures of the install and I'll post them in a few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure there is Pete. This one tested my limits.

I have the TM lift on my 2000 sport and everyone told me I had to wait for some bushing to wear in or to grease the nipple in my steering, but I just took it back to the shop and they tweaked it now the steering comes home every time I turn and it steers the same way she did when she was new. www.nsor.com is the site for my shop ask them what they did if you want. Never the less dont settle for stiff steering it sucks!!

So what did you do about the front shaft?

well, i got a new one

We pulled it off for now. Trailmaster sells a new shaft for $675 which I think is a total rip off and Trailmaster is being really secretive about the front shaft they are selling. We couldn't get any info about it like length and what is different than stock. They just tell us we need it. Sounds like it's just a longer shaft for $675 and they are trying to get rid of them. I told the Kris he should just take it to a shop and have it lengthened.

Yeti, did you get the Trailmaster shaft?

No I did not seemed rather expensive I just got one from a shaft shop for about 500$ canadian, there is a lot of posts about that drive shaft though some guys were able to lengthen them (I think).

Matt-- If that guy wants a new shaft made... Suburban Driveline in Villa Park They did my shafts. It's about 120 to have on extended and balenced and the whole works. I don't have the number available, but could find it if yer buddy wants it. They do really really nice work. They do all the work for Attitude Performance.
Pete

so it just needs to be extended... or do you need a C/V one?

driveline shops that make or extend the stock shaft are alot less expensive than the TM one. How high can you go in the rear before you experience problems with the rear shaft?

One end is CV and the end on the diff is a U joint. I will call Chicago Driveshaft.

Thanks Pete.

Yea, My steering was really hard to turn. It took awhile for it to get better. I would say around 1000 miles. It's a hell of alot better, compared to the way it first was, but it still won't center all the way. Some people have turned the slide down abit, but I heard that in the long run that will make it too loose and sloppy after a few thousand miles. I only drive it around town and when I go wheelin, so I haven't put that many miles on it like I did before when it was the daily driver. If I had it to do all over again, I would get the Superlift Ranger Kit instead, just so I wouldn't have that damn steering slide.
Just make sure you use alot of grease on that steering slide.

I hear ya Ray. Kris ended up getting a whole new shaft at Chicago Drive Shaft for $200. It's basically a smaller version of the rear shaft. No vibrations at any speed, very nice.

Back