2001 ST Cranks but wont start

mahplane

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
My 2001 S/T 187k goes thru times of
cranking but no start started about 18mo ago took it to a shop couldnt find anything It is fuel related but fuel pump checked good replaced the fuel pump relay no help hasn't done it in a year but did it today wiggled the fuel pump relay and everything else in the fuse panel and it started never dies when driving usually after driving 25-30 miles then stopping used to start after sitting for an hour or so Ive owned it since new any help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can also be the crank sensor, next time it happens check for spark at a spark plug

No work was performed and no codes checked for codes 3 times it is fuel related when it won't start cant hear fuel pump come on for a second. When I took it to the shop fuel pressure was normal it never does it while driving always drive 30 miles stop at the store and it won't start 30 min later it starts. Checked wiring at crank sensor and fuel cutoff all good

I know for a fact that the fuel pump isn't coming on when it won't start, I would hate to change the pump for being intermittant then it does it again

I know for a fact that the fuel pump isn't coming on when it won't start, I would hate to change the pump for being intermittant then it does it again
I feel for you as intermittent wiring problems can be a headache. When not running check wiring for voltage at the fuel pump. As Dillardooo said could be the fuel pump is intermittent itself. At 187K miles it could easily be causing you problems. Much cheaper for you to replace it yourself then having a shop do the work. Mechanics guess at problems also when things are intermittent and no codes etc, or they just say cannot duplicate problem. Good luck

My 2001 S/T 187k goes thru times of
cranking but no start started about 18mo ago took it to a shop couldnt find anything It is fuel related but fuel pump checked good replaced the fuel pump relay no help hasn't done it in a year but did it today wiggled the fuel pump relay and everything else in the fuse panel and it started never dies when driving usually after driving 25-30 miles then stopping used to start after sitting for an hour or so Ive owned it since new any help is appreciated

I feel for you as intermittent wiring problems can be a headache. When not running check wiring for voltage at the fuel pump. As Dillardooo said could be the fuel pump is intermittent itself. At 187K miles it could easily be causing you problems. Much cheaper for you to replace it yourself then having a shop do the work. Mechanics guess at problems also when things are intermittent and no codes etc, or they just say cannot duplicate problem. Good luck.

I feel for you as intermittent wiring problems can be a headache. When not running check wiring for voltage at the fuel pump. As Dillardooo said could be the fuel pump is intermittent itself. At 187K miles it could easily be causing you problems. Much cheaper for you to replace it yourself then having a shop do the work. Mechanics guess at problems also when things are intermittent and no codes etc, or they just say cannot duplicate problem. Good luck
Can the pump be changed by removing the truck bed seems easier than dropping tank

Can the pump be changed by removing the truck bed seems easier than dropping tank
Just reread what you said early "wiggled the fuel pump relay and everything else in the fuse panel and it started" This would make me believe it is not the pump. Contacts on relay? Dirty ground somewhere? Agree removing bed for access to fuel pump easier.

Just reread what you said early "wiggled the fuel pump relay and everything else in the fuse panel and it started" This would make me believe it is not the pump. Contacts where relay pushes in? Dirty ground somewhere? Agree removing bed for access to fuel pump easier.

Back