2001 - won't start, turnover, click...nothing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 - won't start, turnover, click...nothing

caw

Reaction score
City, State
Punta Gorda FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sports Trac
Hi...my 2001 4 WD XLT is having issues...won't start, turnover, click...lights & accessories work. Replaced starter/solenoid a week ago...started up and ran no problems for about a week. Now the problem is back,
replaced the starter relay, tried jumping it, battery is less than a year old, replaced the battery cable ends and still nothing. So, I probably replaced the starter and that wasn't the problem to begin with. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No lights don't dim...there really isn't any crank...the key turns and nothing

Try moving the shift lever a little. My '01 occasionally does this when the indicator appears like its in park, but is not by just a hair. A couple of months ago it did it several times over a couple of weeks before I figured out what the problem was. We 1st thought it was the key my wife uses because the first few times that was the key being used, but then it did it with my key and I figured out the real problem.

Try moving the shift lever a little. My '01 occasionally does this when the indicator appears like its in park, but is not by just a hair. A couple of months ago it did it several times over a couple of weeks before I figured out what the problem was. We 1st thought it was the key my wife uses because the first few times that was the key being used, but then it did it with my key and I figured out the real problem.
Thanks for the info...tried it but no help.

Ignition switch? Stater relay? Neutral saftey switch?

When you turn the key to start 12V power is sent from the ignition switch, through the neutral safety switch (on automatic transmissions, or the clutch interlock switch on manuals) to the starter relay, which sends 12V to the starter solenoid. This energizes the starter solenoid which engages the starter motor.

Your signal is being lost somewhere. A VOM (or a test light) and a helper should allow you to track the problem down.

For free wiring diagrams for you vehicle:

http://search.ebscohost.com/

User ID = chattech
Password = quarter

Ignition switch? Stater relay? Neutral saftey switch?

When you turn the key to start 12V power is sent from the ignition switch, through the neutral safety switch (on automatic transmissions, or the clutch interlock switch on manuals) to the starter relay, which sends 12V to the starter solenoid. This energizes the starter solenoid which engages the starter motor.

Your signal is being lost somewhere. A VOM (or a test light) and a helper should allow you to track the problem down.

For free wiring diagrams for you vehicle:

EBSCOhost Login

User ID = chattech
Password = quarter
I've got a similar issue. I took of my oil fill cap and noticed that the timing chain isn't turning while trying to start it. I don't have any clue what's up

If the motor is turning over, but the timing stuff isn’t you’re in for an expensive, non-trivial repair.

If the motor is turning over, but the timing stuff isn’t you’re in for an expensive, non-trivial repair.
Yep. Time to buy a new vehicle. Your engine is now trash. It can be fixed, but it's going to be very expensive. I pulled my engine and replaced all my timing chain components. It was a lot of work (with my free labor) and quality parts are expense. Honestly probably not worth it, but I took an abused rust-free '01 Sport Trac, that I paid next to nothing for, and brought it back from the grave. A few months later I ended up also replacing the transmission, which wasn't a huge surprise. In retrospect I would have been better off just buying the best Sport Trac I could find with the fewest miles, but where's the fun in that?

Back