2001 X sport oil leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 X sport oil leak.

97cv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
A co-worker has an oil leak coming from the pass side of his engine.

The vacuum lines under the pass side of the PCV tube are a little wet.
The pass side/firewall valve cover is also a little wet.

From under the truck on pass side, You can clearly see oil running down the block.

Its a small leak that loks worse than it is, He doesnt need to add any oil since I changed it a week ago.But it is making its way down to the trans bell housing and the cats....So it looks like hell and smells too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His PCV valve is functional.I checked its rattle and vacuum test too, It is however oily where it plugs into the PCV Vent tube that runs behind the engine.

I had asked him to join this site....He's a ******...Too busy watching sports !

Thanks in advance for your input and help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How does the seal/grommet look where the PCV valve goes into the cover? Could have an oil leak there, or it could be the valve cover.

i know its tough since its not your car and your at work. but maybe you can have him degrease the area before he drives it to work and at your lunch time take a look, you might be able to isolate it before the oil gets whipped around too much.

it might be the pcv hoses, grommet, or a valve cover gasket

I can barely get my hand back there , How can I check the PCV hose to the engine....

This one seems was different than most. It doesnt come right off the valve cover itself. The hose goes behind the engine ??

He has the 4.0..They didn't offer any other engines for the sport in 01 right ?

the pcv valve is on the back of the drivers side valve cover. it is a tight squeeze but once you get the pcv valve out of the grommet the hoses will have some give and you can lift them up.

I found his center.Behind the intake. Tied up in a toothed clip that circles all the way around it. Large hose goes down and two V off and go to each side of the intake.

What a weird figure 8 kinda design for the intake.

Back