2001 XLS High idle and running hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 XLS High idle and running hot

Mfro

Reaction score
City, State
Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLS
Hello:
I have a 2001 Explorer XLS that recently I have noticed has been idling in the 1000-1400 rpm range when I run the AC. Also, during a road trip I noticed the engine was running very hot. Turning off the AC seemed to bring the temp back into just slightly higher than normal range.

I can understand a thermostat causing the temp issue, but not the idling issue. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cylinder head temp sensor is reading an overheat condition. This puts the pcm into limp home protection mode. The PCM raises the idle speed and changes fuel/air ratio, changes shift points and other changes to protect the engine. Usually a broken or failed thermostat will cause this.

thanks for your input..
I had no idea a thermostat could cause the high idle. Also I had noticed shifting differrences like you had explained. I just didn't mention it in my post. Thanks again.

thanks for your input..
I had no idea a thermostat could cause the high idle. Also I had noticed shifting differrences like you had explained. I just didn't mention it in my post. Thanks again.

You're welcome.
The PC/ED section of the service manual explains the strategy for this. If you are going to work on any late model car or truck the service manual CD is the best tool to have.

what brand of service manual are you referring to? I have googled for a service manual and cant find much.

Back