2001 XLT D44-SAS | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 XLT D44-SAS

Ok, I'm going to start this thread since I'm hoping to be done with this by the end of September.

d44-f001.jpg

d44-f003.jpg

Ok, those were the pretty pics...then I cracked the cover off the pumpkin-

d44-f005.jpg

d44-f006.jpg

d44-f007.jpg

d44-f008.jpg

d44-f010.jpg

d44-f011.jpg

The thing had a ton of water inside...no gear oil came out, only water...

Now the questions for all you axle Gurus...

I can rebuild this no problem right?

Are the axle tubes sealed from the pumpkin, or did the water travel down the tubes?

I'd appreciate any opinions on this cause when the water came pouring out I got disgusted and put the cover back on...I'll have at it again tomorrow and start stripping it down.

From what can be seen- any ideas on what would have to be changed right off the bat?

Or am I looking at a total rebuild?

I want to swap out the knuckles and spindles for 5-on-5.5, they're hard to get here...any body know anyplace in Jersey or PA that I could contact and secure some F150 knuckles and spindles?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Particularly since I'm hoping to pick up the springs this weekend. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read this whole thread and Way to go cdsl, very nice job, and thats one beast of a ford explorer. Makes us proud to own one.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I can't believe as long as I have been here I haven't seen this thread :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That thing is SWEET, nice job, I love the pics next to the stock x :thumbsup:

Got the "new" Hi-Steer knuckles w/Super Arms, "new" spindles, used backplates w/caliper mounts, alloy stub axles (outers), shift kit for the Atlas II and the adapter...the T-Case should be here shortly, they ship them separately.

ARB and 4.56s, notched cross-pin and master rebuild for the rear will be here in 2 days.

I'll post some pics of what I got tonight.

I don't know what you do for a livin, but are they hiring! Geez, must be nice to buy all that fancy high $$ stuff at once!

JoshC said:
I don't know what you do for a livin, but are they hiring! Geez, must be nice to buy all that fancy high $$ stuff at once!

:D :D

I've been plotting this for a little over a year.

ALL YOU GUYS ARE TO BLAME! YOU DID IT!! YOU GOT ME STARTED!!!

:D :D :D

Ok, pics of the steering knuckles and all, Atlas, shift kit and adapter...

pict0141.jpg

pict0142.jpg

pict0143.jpg

pict0144.jpg

pict0145.jpg

pict0146.jpg

pict0147.jpg

I also got new (rebuilt) chevy calipers, brakes, hoses/hardlines and universals for the shafts.

nice, an atlas is a great upgrade to any ride. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Guess your not gunna keep running Heims? Cause if i remember correctly Parts Mike Arms our Made for TRE's, the Holes are GM tapered....

Im waiting for some parts from Parts Mike to come in for my Histeer, should be here tuesday, atleast thats what he said....

XplorerKid said:
Guess your not gunna keep running Heims? Cause if i remember correctly Parts Mike Arms our Made for TRE's, the Holes are GM tapered....

Im waiting for some parts from Parts Mike to come in for my Histeer, should be here tuesday, atleast thats what he said....

He's been 110% straight with everything I've gotten from him, delivery right on time also. He tossed in quite a few small hard parts also...considering what I spent.

I'm keeping the heims, I had him drill them straight through for me. The 3/4" heims I got from MORE are actually nice and heavy so I'm gonna run'em with the Hi-Steer and see how it goes, if not I guess I'll just have to change the arms for TREs, what'reya gonna do- I had some extra tube and heims so I figured go with what I've already got.

Got in the 8.8 gearset (4.56s), master rebuild, notched crosspin, ARB and heavy duty ARB air line.

pict0149.jpg

pict0148.jpg

That's it, now I just gotta get it in.

cdsl227 said:
He's been 110% straight with everything I've gotten from him, delivery right on time also. He tossed in quite a few small hard parts also...considering what I spent.

I'm keeping the heims, I had him drill them straight through for me. The 3/4" heims I got from MORE are actually nice and heavy so I'm gonna run'em with the Hi-Steer and see how it goes, if not I guess I'll just have to change the arms for TREs, what'reya gonna do- I had some extra tube and heims so I figured go with what I've already got.

Ok i understand now....

When you have the AWD t-case out of the truck, I would love some side by side comparison photos with it and the Atlas. It will be interesting to see what d/s mods are needed, and how it clears the frame, torsion bar mount, and gastank installed behind the 4R70W.

V8BoatBuilder said:
When you have the AWD t-case out of the truck, I would love some side by side comparison photos with it and the Atlas. It will be interesting to see what d/s mods are needed, and how it clears the frame, torsion bar mount, and gastank installed behind the 4R70W.

No problem, I don't forsee any clearance problems...torsion bars are gone, gas tank is set way back, and I've got a 3" body lift...they recomended a 1" BL for the Explorer install.

The Atlas is a nice little package...

cdsl227 said:
The Atlas is a nice little package...

With a nice little price :D

Next time you are in a spending mood, remember me!

Atlas is in, I have to get a rear shaft made tomorrow- I'll deal with the front next week after I swap the knuckles.

Various pics of the BW4404 and Atlas side-by-side and the install.

pict0001.jpg

pict0002.jpg

pict0003.jpg

pict0004.jpg

pict0005.jpg

pict0006.jpg

pict0007.jpg

pict0008.jpg

pict0009.jpg

pict0010.jpg

pict0011.jpg

pict0012.jpg

pict0013.jpg

pict0014.jpg

pict0015.jpg

pict0016.jpg

pict0017.jpg

pict0018.jpg

pict0019.jpg

pict0020.jpg

pict0021.jpg

pict0022.jpg

pict0023.jpg

pict0024.jpg

pict0025.jpg

pict0026.jpg

pict0027.jpg

pict0028.jpg

pict0029.jpg

pict0031.jpg

pict0032.jpg

pict0033.jpg

I want an atlas really bad right now.....

wow, can't wait to see this beast on the trails

Are you going to have the yokes modified for double cardon joints?

NOTAJP said:
Are you going to have the yokes modified for double cardon joints?

The yokes on the Atlas are 1310s, it's my understanding CV joints (dual cardon) will go right into those...

Please don't tell me I'm wrong (actually please do...if I'm wrong)...

Yes and no. The u-joint will fit (good news) but the yoke will need to have certain parts grinded down to clear the DC center section. They will bind at max angle is they aren't and brake. The other good news is that the driveline shop knows exactly what to grind and is very easy for them to modify. Just take the yoke in when you get the driveshafts. I don't think it costs that much to have done either.

I'm sure you'll get some flak for not going with a bigger u-joint. I kept the 1310s for many reasons. I only have to cary one trail spare for all 6 u-joints(I have DC front and rear). I also like to have a fusable link in the driveline. Your driveline is only as strong as the weekest link. I'd rather pop a u-joint then a driveshaft or axle. Cheaper and easier to change on the trail. Besides, I carry a spare rear driveshaft if I really screw it up. Hope that helps.

Back