2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the quick answer.
ok. than i will go ahead to order the spacers (2.25"/1.75") from brandon.

greetings, tom

Is there a 265/75R17? I'm starting to look for tires now because I will most likely need them next spring. I have 17" wheels on my ex. Should I be looking for 75s or 70s? Also, what load rating do I want under my ex?

I don't know what lift do you have on it. 33X10.5 R17 that will give it one mean look

Just a thought

ok. hopefully the spacers from brandon are on the way to germany.
add I ordered a set of rancho quicklift struts is well. the spacers will be installed together with the longer upper control arms (from brandon too). these once I must order the next weeks.

greetings tom

So I'm wondering if 33x12.5x15 or 16 will fit if I did a .3" bl and 2.25" f and 1.75" r lift. Or will it rub? Of course ill trim or just remove inner wheel well plastics. I ask cause in Hawaii we like the wide action. Since a lot of ppl sell their used rims and tires on cl. Thise are the numbers always popping up fs. I know I won't be high like our Toyota's, n chvys, etc. Go for the low and wide look. Crabby style. Just never liked the look of a lifted truck with the wheels flush/tucked into the body even with bigger tires.

it will prob rub a little at full lock, ive got 3"BL 2.5" spacers and 285-75s and catch just a little bit of the inner fender plastic (pulling in a parking spot, etc.) and when its "flexing" the tires are too big for the wheel wells but it doesnt bother me too much.
BTW your gonna need a 16"+ rim....

The search feature is very nice!! you can answer 95% of your questions through there

So I'm wondering if 33x12.5x15 or 16 will fit if I did a .3" bl and 2.25" f and 1.75" r lift. Or will it rub? Of course ill trim or just remove inner wheel well plastics. I ask cause in Hawaii we like the wide action. Since a lot of ppl sell their used rims and tires on cl. Thise are the numbers always popping up fs. I know I won't be high like our Toyota's, n chvys, etc. Go for the low and wide look. Crabby style. Just never liked the look of a lifted truck with the wheels flush/tucked into the body even with bigger tires.

I think you will be fine.I have a 96 with 33x12.5r15 i used to run without bl or lift kit just had to trim the fenders.

hey guys got an 02 explorer limited stocky if i lift it with spacers is the anything else i have to change if so what is need need to get all parts shipped to australia to do you know any body that ships it here

Hey mate, contact Brandon at BTF fabrication. He'll make your spacer's (2.25" fr and 1.75" rear) and new upper control arm's and he will post to you too. He does a package deal for both. I can't remember the price ($800 US posted, roughly?) but contact him via email or pm on this site. He's a top bloke who won't steer you wrong or rip you off.

Stroher89, 15" rim's will not fit on a 3rd generation mate. (Don't clear the brakes!)

I know there's been tons of tire size questions, but I've never seen one like this, so I have 2" wheel spacers on stock 16's with a 2.25/1.75 inch BTF lift, can I fit 285's, it's mostly a street/light trail explorer so I don't care if it rubs when flexing

Main thing is that you don't want those 285's to rub on the spindles where the upper ball joints bolt in.

I am not sure what the backspacing on the stock 16's is. I think you need around 4.25" - 4.5" total backspacing to avoid rubbing. If you can get that with the wheel spacers installed then you should be OK as far as keeping the tires away from the spindles.

So how do I measure the backspacing, or can I guess that it'll be good enough by measuring how far the 255's are from the spindle, does anyone know how much wider 285 75's are?

So how do I measure the backspacing, or can I guess that it'll be good enough by measuring how far the 255's are from the spindle, does anyone know how much wider 285 75's are?

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. This measurement is the backspace.

(Copied from this link: https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html)

So once you have that, add 2" inches to the backspacing to account for your wheel spacers. If you come up with 4.25" to 4.5" you should be fine.

stock explorer rims are +44 offset so subtract 50.8 mm (2 inches) which would give you roughly a -6 offset which will clear 285's. my rims are -6 offset, 17x9's and my 285's STT's clear no problem

i would be leary running that size tire with wheel spacers. just my $.02. are your spacers hub centric?

05 explorer here and wanting a 3in lift any ideas?

05 explorer here and wanting a 3in lift any ideas?

2.25" front, 1.75" rear spacer lift will net you roughly 3". the 2.25 and 1.75 are the heights of the spacers and not actual lift.

or a 3" bodylift will work too

Hey mate, contact Brandon at BTF fabrication. He'll make your spacer's (2.25" fr and 1.75" rear) and new upper control arm's and he will post to you too. He does a package deal for both. I can't remember the price ($800 US posted, roughly?) but contact him via email or pm on this site. He's a top bloke who won't steer you wrong or rip you off.

Stroher89, 15" rim's will not fit on a 3rd generation mate. (Don't clear the brakes!)

right! but i wasnt talkin about 3gen.i was talkin bout 2gen mate!!:thumbsup:

I need some help I have an 02 explorer XLT with the 16" stock rims and currently I have 235/70/16 tires. I was wondering what the best upgrade would be because I do some off roading and snow driving that gets semi deep. I want a tire that's bigger and beefier like an A/T but I know that the 265/70(75)/16 will reduce MPG's pretty bad won't it? What size should I get to not kill my mpg and have a beefier look?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need some help I have an 02 explorer XLT with the 16" stock rims and currently I have 235/70/16 tires. I was wondering what the best upgrade would be because I do some off roading and snow driving that gets semi deep. I want a tire that's bigger and beefier like an A/T but I know that the 265/70(75)/16 will reduce MPG's pretty bad won't it? What size should I get to not kill my mpg and have a beefier look?

265's will give you the beefier look, but your MPG will drop slightly. When I switched from 245's to 265's my mpg's dropped by about 1.

Back