2002 4.0 issues - What's up everyone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

QuidillRoy

Reaction score
City, State
Fairmont wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer 4.0l
To start off I brought a used 2002 ford explorer xlt 4.0 6cyl. I had a engine put in and it ran good for about month I was driving it in city, so it was all stop and go until about 2 weeks ago. I was driving from NY to wv and cruised for about 100+ miles in the fast lane I tried to accelerate but my truck just reved and started to decelerating slowly wouldn't go up much when I pressed the pedal, the brakes became stiff and I had to press the pedal really hard in order to stop.

I then drove the rest Slowly babing the gas and the check engine light was came on it would not go past 40mph in some cases 20mph like when going up hills and then it would speed up when going down.

Nextday:
I assumed spark plugs, wires and Coil pack, so I changed them but still no results it goes up in rpm but won't go pass 10mph and wouldn't climb a hill and brakes slowly became stiff its hesitant to stay running ,stalls and smell like fuel . So I went to get a code reader and it said misfire and bank one too lean , changed the fuel filter and the o2 sensors. Then cleared it . Took it for a nother drive and it still runs the same way. The mechanic says who ever did the engine dropped bolts in the intake . I'm wondering how can that be it if I have been driving it for as long as I did.

Please help!! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idea how many miles on the engine?

sounds like a massive vacume leak somewhere

vacume leak will cause these issues, this is when a vacume hose is cracked or has come off somewhere, This will cause a rich fuel mixture, rough idle, and if the leak is bad enough it can put the truck into limp mode to protect you from engine damage ...try the brake booster its a 3/4 inch hose going to the brake booster on the drivers side fire wall..but there are quite a few smaller vacume lines pcv valve is a larger one also...

vacuum is un'monitored air getting into your engine..

But the check engine light will not come back on and it's still running funny.
Can the vacuum be messed up and the check engine not show.

Also the intake has bolts that fell inside I was driving a while like that. Can that also the problem.

how did bolts fall in the intake? and if they got into the valves it could do major damage.If you disconnected the battery you may have lost the codes ...

I never disconnected the battery.
I remember one code being p0311
And the others said misfire 2 and 3
Those were pending after it erased
And the person who did the engine dropped them in there and I didn't know unti like three days ago

If this was my truck. i would drain the oil and look for metal pieces in the oil, get a strong magnet and as the oil is draining let it drain onto the magnet, remove the oil filter cut it open see if there is metal inside there. either way you need to retrieve those bolts that were dropped into the intake.

the po1130 code is a vague code that covers many scenarios, but includes loss of compression. a bolt that contacted a valve could do that.

I justbrougt a new intake to put in

So will changing the intake fix that?

it depends on the damage that has occurred. If one of the bolts got threw an intake valve there also could be piston damage. best case scenario is the there is a bolt stuck it one of the intake valves and is holding it open, either way all the bolts that were dropped in there have to be retrieved..Still before anything drain that oil onto a strong magnet this will give you a good idea if there is something internal broken..

dont buy any more parts, keep the receipt for the intake you may have to return it ...either way you will need to remove the valve covers and intake manifold, find out whats going on before you buy anything else, you can throw a ton of money at this and dont know whats up yet..

I don't have have it with me it's with a mechanic.. thats who hold me it need a new intake.

I hope its not the same guy who dropped those bolts and left them in there

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The mechanic said theres alot of them in it's better to replace it.

Back