2002 4.0 Towing Question

Willybobo

Reaction score
City, State
Lima, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6 Limited
Hi everyone.

I've been searching across the forums for an answer but I really need one that is specific to my vehicle.
A buddy of mine wants me to help him move by pulling a trailer with my Explorer (to a nearby town) but I am unsure of my capabilities. The first question is do I have the towing package or not? I attached a picture of my door sticker and the hitch that is attached. Also I took a picture of what I believe to be a transmission cooler. And depending on if I have the package or not, what is the REALISTIC type of load that this Explorer can handle?

Help please

Alleged Transmission Cooler
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3GDRZJqgCHzZkdXNEFDYXBobmM/view?usp=sharing

Door Sticker
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3GDRZJqgCHzRTNwZFl1aUZ6bWM/view?usp=sharing

Hitch
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3GDRZJqgCHzQ2xCMDZteDlqRkE/view?usp=sharing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size is that hitch 1-1/4 or 2 inch? My 02 has the 1 1/4 and no towing package. I find that even though it's rated for 5,000 Lbs my 4.0 can't haul that much.
You should check all of your mounting points. With that much surface rust showing I would be concerned about something breaking..

Axle code 45: 3.55 Open rear end...

So really.. You can barely tow anything with that. With the 4.0 and 3.55 rear end you will be foot to the floor to move. I mean I would do 2klbs to 3klbs with it but nothing more.

We have a Dooley Tandem axle 5,000 lb car hauler / flat bed and it alone is 2,000 Lbs for reference.

That's a power steering cooler, not a transmission cooler. But you probably have one--its sandwiched between the A/C condensor (the very front radiator-type thingy) and the actual radiator (closest to engine), and about 1/2 the size of the a/c condensor. Kinda hard to see. If, near the oil filter, you see two thin metal pipes headed toward the front of the truck transitioning to rubber or braided hoses (coming from the transmission), then you have a transmission cooler. My '02 XLS has one, and it does not have the towing package.

My XLS has the 1 1/4" hitch and the 3.55 rear end and is rated to tow 3,500 lbs ("Class II"). I'd be surprised if your 2" hitch isn't also rated 3,500 lbs. The 2" hitch can handle a couple hundred pounds more tongue weight. So, you should not hurt your truck by towing up to 3,500 lbs, properly distributed on trailer (subject to GVW ratings and such). If you're towing over 2,500 lbs and its really hot or hilly or you're traveling at high speeds (more wind resistance), you might want to take breaks or slow down a bit to keep the drivetrain from getting too hot.

Keep an eye on engine temp with your dash gauge. You can buy a OBDII scanner that plugs in under the steering wheel and read the transmission temp digitally while you drive. I did this recently on a long trip (I wasn't towing; well, a bike rack but that doesn't count). Mine was approx. 170 degrees F in Texas @ 95+ degrees F w/o towing. If you hit much over 215 degrees, slow down (or drive at night when cooler!). I replaced most of the transmission fluid beforehand (Motorcraft Mercon V), which likely helped (messy, messy job). If you have over 125k on your 'ex, maybe see if your buddy will pay for a dealer flush with new fluid before the trip, and your transmission will come back healthier for it.

Dude, this thing is a truck. Its meant for towing! More info here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2002_All.pdf

NEVER FLUSH A TRANSMISSION. Just don't. It is not recommended by manufacturers or mechanics and has been proven to do more harm then good. Just drop the pan, change the filter, and refill.

The 215* limit is accurate.

He should rent a small U-Haul for the day. It's not expensive.

But
He should rent a small U-Haul for the day. It's not expensive.
But we 2nd/3rd/4th gen Explorer owners should encourage all to boycott Uhaul, since they have arbitrarily banned us from towing their trailers. Why do I say "arbitrarily"? Because they allow Mercury Mountaineers (same damn trucks) to tow 'em!

I have seriously thought about taking a roll of two-inch blue painters tape and covering the "Explorer" and "Ford" logos on my 'ex, and telling the guy at the counter I have a Mountaineer. Has anyone tried this? This probably drives the local guys nuts, too.

Back