2002 4.6 V8 Terrible engine knock. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.6 V8 Terrible engine knock.

Safeauto101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Explorer V8 4.6L. Was misfiring on cylinder 1 and 3. So did the general tune up. But, now I have a terrible knocking coming from the passenger rear of the motor. The noise will increase as you rev the engine. Not sure if it's a lifter or what. But does anyone have any ideas. And guides on maybe how I can step by step fix this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 Explorer V8 4.6L. Was misfiring on cylinder 1 and 3. So did the general tune up. But, now I have a terrible knocking coming from the passenger rear of the motor. The noise will increase as you rev the engine. Not sure if it's a lifter or what. But does anyone have any ideas. And guides on maybe how I can step by step fix this problem.
@Safeauto101
Big difference between lifter noise and bearing knock. Lifters sound like a clicking, rod bearings make a knoick like the block is being hit with rapid hammer blows. Main bearings usually present noise early on when the engine is working under load. imp

@Safeauto101
Big difference between lifter noise and bearing knock. Lifters sound like a clicking, rod bearings make a knoick like the block is being hit with rapid hammer blows. Main bearings usually present noise early on when the engine is working under load. imp

That's what it is doing. Sounds like a rod is hitting the motor. It was immediately parked. It had a very little knock before. But now it it massive. I was going to tinker with tearing the engine down just for some experience and possibly fix the issue if I can. But, need maybe like a step by step guide if you or anyone may lead me in the right direction.

That's what it is doing. Sounds like a rod is hitting the motor. It was immediately parked. It had a very little knock before. But now it it massive. I was going to tinker with tearing the engine down just for some experience and possibly fix the issue if I can. But, need maybe like a step by step guide if you or anyone may lead me in the right direction.
@Safeauto101
Unless you have considerable mechanical experience of some kind, it should not be expected to be instantly gained by dissecting an engine, IMO. OTOH, if you are mechanically inclined, the challenge is tempting. It certainly was for me, as a teen-ager! Long ago, but the basics of cylinder block with pistons, crankshaft and bearings has not changed.

To start, I would get under the engine with it running, and listen closely under the oil pan. A failed bearing noise will come through that pan very audibly, maybe even enough to determine just where, approximately, the noise is being made. IF it's a bearing failure. Assuming the knock is there, I would remove the oil pan, and examine the rod bearings one by one. Removing each rod bearing cap is a relatively easy process. If very bad, there may be evidence of heat, discoloration of the bearing cap. If so, remove that one first. If the bearing insert is "pounded out", that will be pretty obvious. Look closely at the journal, for scoring or any other imperfection. Sometimes, a failed bearing caught early enough, allows re-use of the crankshaft. Failing to find rod bearing trouble, inspect the main bearings, one by one. If inspection of both rods and mains fails to reveal a cause for knocking, get some Plasti-Gage material and check each bearing's clearance. One may have excessive clearance, and not be visible to the eye as damage.

If it's decided the knock is not bearing-related, deeper inspection is needed. Possibility exists that the noise is valve-train related. Does the engine blow any smoke out of the tailpipe? Do the "matchbook test", suspend an empty paper matchbook over the end of the tailpipe with engine idling. If it alternately gets "sucked" against the opening, there is likely exhaust valve trouble.

As you can see, a good degree of the analysis of trouble-shooting involves detective work first. You might consider getting a tutorial of some kind outlining general engine rebuilding. Possession of a Ford Shop Manual for the vehicle worked on is a must, in my shop. Next steps will depend on your findings. imp

I had the same issue about a year ago. It was a loud dull thud. Mine was spun bearing. I ended up replacing crank, rod, and main bearings. After that ran it great for a couple months. If you do tear it down I recommend checking the cam bearing surfaces, as there are no separate bearings. The bearing surfaces are part of the head.

I had the same issue about a year ago. It was a loud dull thud. Mine was spun bearing. I ended up replacing crank, rod, and main bearings. After that ran it great for a couple months. If you do tear it down I recommend checking the cam bearing surfaces, as there are no separate bearings. The bearing surfaces are part of the head.

Which is/are aluminum. World's BEST bearing material! (NOT) imp

Back