2002 4WD auto tranny trouble going into gear when shifting, noises, and flashing O/D | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4WD auto tranny trouble going into gear when shifting, noises, and flashing O/D

KD9EAS

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all, I searched and there is are so many threads close to this but none that seemed to nail my exact symptoms. None that I could find anyway. If I'm just repeating other's issues, could someone kindly point me in the direction of those threads?

My Explorer is a 2002 4 door 4WD Automatic V6. I think I'm nearing 100K miles on it. When I bought the vehicle, the 4WD was messed up, and the dealer replaced a good bit of the 4WD equipment, but I'm not sure what all was replaced. Vehicle has run fine for well over a year since.

Today, the transmission started acting up. When it goes to shift, it doesn't go into gear, but into a neutral state,(and will rev up high if I keep giving it gas). If I feather my foot on the pedal, it will find it's gear, sometimes clunking into it, shaking the Explorer. Occasionally I will start getting this whizzing noise like a small loud electric motor or a weed eater revving up whenever I step on the gas. The noise sounds like it could be coming from either the back of the engine bay or the transmission. After 3 or 4 times of giving it the gas, the noise will go away. A couple times so far the O/D light has started flashing, but I have yet to get a check engine light, and using a generic ODBII checker, I'm not getting any fault codes.

I typically don't change my fluids, I take it to the shop to have that done, but most work past that I usually do myself. I haven't had a chance to check the tranny fluid or have it checked yet. Anyone have an idea of where I should start troubleshooting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be certain that your code reader is "CAN Protocol" compatible, as if it is not, transmission codes will not be displayed. imp

Be certain that your code reader is "CAN Protocol" compatible, as if it is not, transmission codes will not be displayed. imp

I guess it wasn't. I took it to Ford to check and bad news. It WAS throwing codes, and they investigated further. They say the transmission is shot and needs to be replaced. Looking into options now. Thanks for the help :)

I guess it wasn't. I took it to Ford to check and bad news. It WAS throwing codes, and they investigated further. They say the transmission is shot and needs to be replaced. Looking into options now. Thanks for the help :)
Get the actual codes and their meanings. Ford likely does not want to divulge much info. Places like Auto Zone will read them free, and list them, if you're nice to them.

Or, buy a CAN capable code reader, about a hundred bucks, read them yourself. Maybe fixing the transmission is less involved than they lead you to believe. imp

Get the actual codes and their meanings. Ford likely does not want to divulge much info. Places like Auto Zone will read them free, and list them, if you're nice to them.

Or, buy a CAN capable code reader, about a hundred bucks, read them yourself. Maybe fixing the transmission is less involved than they lead you to believe. imp

PO732 and PO745. I'm digging into them now. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm at the point where I'm willing to attempt a rebuild myself if it comes to that. Or replacing any parts needed.

Meanwhile this give me motivation to get the ol' 66 Mustang on the road and drive it for a bit.

PO732 and PO745. I'm digging into them now. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm at the point where I'm willing to attempt a rebuild myself if it comes to that. Or replacing any parts needed.

Meanwhile this give me motivation to get the ol' 66 Mustang on the road and drive it for a bit.

OBD II Fault Code
OBD II P0745

Fault Code Definition
Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction
Symptoms
Check Engine Light may illuminate

Vehicle will not shift from gear to gear properly
Vehicle may not be driveable
Decrease in fuel economy
In unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver
In some cases, there may be performance problems

Common Problems That Trigger the P0745 Code
Defective Pressure Solenoid
Defective Pressure Solenoid wiring or connector
Defective Valve Body
Dirty transmission fluid that restricts the hydraulic passages
Common Misdiagnoses
Engine misfire or performance problem
Driveline problem

OBD II P0732

Fault Code Definition
Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
Code P0732 When the code P0732 is set in the Powertrain Computer, it means that the Powertrain Computer or PCM is seeing a greater than a specified RPM difference between the rotational speed of the Input RPM Sensor and the Transmission Output RPM Sensor when the vehicle is in 2nd gear. This can occur during shifting or when driving at steady speeds. It often implies that the transmission is slipping.
Symptoms
Check Engine Light will illuminate

Vehicle will not shift properly
Decrease in fuel economy
In unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver
In some cases, there may be performance problems, such as dying when coming to a stop after driving on the freeway and/or misfire-like symptoms

Common Problems That Trigger the P0732 Code
Defective 2nd gear shift solenoid
Defective 2nd gear related gear set or clutch pack
Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Defective Valve Body
Common Misdiagnoses
Engine Misfire problem
Internal Transmission problem
Driveline problem

So I figured I'd start with the aftermarket servo bore fix just to see if it would let me get by without having to pull the transmission, and when I attempted to adjust the bands prior to, the adjustment bolts wouldn't move within their locknuts. I pulled them, soaked for a while, got them good and freed up, replaced them and went for the adjustment. And one of them screwed all the way in...

So it looks like one of my bands may be broken. I reckon I'll pull the whole transmission and give it a once over.

Back