• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2002 4x4 issues

Ddgrass

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer Eddie bauer
Hello, I have a 2002 explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0l and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. All the lights work properly. They don't blink. I can hear the module click. If I put it 4 low, the gear ratio changes as it should. But no power is transferred to the front wheels. I have read a lot of the threads on this site and can't find one that has this problem. Thanks in advance for the help. This is a great site!

Reactions: imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JW

Third Gen Collector
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
A Pair Of Gen 3s
I have this exact problem with my 2003 4.6. Haven't figured it out yet. I suspect the electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case is dead but haven't been able to look into it.

imp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Hello, I have a 2002 explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0l and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. All the lights work properly. They don't blink. I can hear the module click. If I put it 4 low, the gear ratio changes as it should. But no power is transferred to the front wheels. I have read a lot of the threads on this site and can't find one that has this problem. Thanks in advance for the help. This is a great site!
@Ddgrass
Is no power transmitted to the front wheels in either 4X4 HIGH or 4X4 LOW? Both depend on transmission of torque by the electronic clutch to the front driveshaft.

I would check for the presence of 12 volts on the brown wire entering the back of the transfer case, with 4X4 HIGH button depressed. If NO VOLTAGE, look for trouble in wiring, connectors, etc. Check fuses. The shift motor operates ONLY to shift into and out of 4X4 LOW, nothing else. If voltage is present to feed the clutch, and no torque is transmitted, the clutch is likely defective. Could be it's coil is open-circuited, or the clutch mechanically inoperative. imp

JW

Third Gen Collector
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
A Pair Of Gen 3s
What you're describing is what I'm experiencing. Thanks for the tips.

Ddgrass

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer Eddie bauer
I get no power to the front wheels in either hi or low. I will test the brown wire this weekend. Thank you for the advise.