2002 EB 4.0 VinE Driveshaft question...removal with mid-shaft boot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 EB 4.0 VinE Driveshaft question...removal with mid-shaft boot

mbed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Moving on from the U-joint question...my main driveshaft has the dust boot which apparently allows the sliding of the shaft while moving. I removed the four bolts from the back flange to differential and got it separated and held up shaft with jack. The front connection to the trans seems to be the same but is more difficult to free. I've read there is a slip yoke on some of these at the front end of the main shaft. Do they ever use a slip yoke if there is the mid shaft spline setup? Trying to damage as little as possible due to lack of knowledge and / or foresight...many thanks once again!

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer early build with ~208k mi on 2nd 4.0 / VIN E

Moving on from the U-joint question...my main driveshaft has the dust boot which apparently allows the sliding of the shaft while moving. I removed the four bolts from the back flange to differential and got it separated and held up shaft with jack. The front connection to the trans seems to be the same but is more difficult to free. I've read there is a slip yoke on some of these at the front end of the main shaft. Do they ever use a slip yoke if there is the mid shaft spline setup? Trying to damage as little as possible due to lack of knowledge and / or foresight...many thanks once again!

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer early build with ~208k mi on 2nd 4.0 / VIN E
@mbed

With solid-mounted rear axle center section, the driveshaft does not move up and down, or length-wise except for some small deflections in motor mounts and the vehicle structure itself. Same goes for the front shaft. Why are you removing the shaft? imp

@mbed

With solid-mounted rear axle center section, the driveshaft does not move up and down, or length-wise except for some small deflections in motor mounts and the vehicle structure itself. Same goes for the front shaft. Why are you removing the shaft? imp

replacing front and rear U-joints on main shaft...so just a flange in front between shaft & trans? thanks again!

just flanges front and back...for posterity!

Back