2002 EB Crank/no-start vinE 4.0 SOHC fuel pressure puzzlement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 EB Crank/no-start vinE 4.0 SOHC fuel pressure puzzlement

mbed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Greetings all!

Several years back, replaced fuel pump, all was well. Now a overly detailed history of current situation:
  • late last year, was nearly out of gas and got a few gallons from a station with paper signs saying no gas and tanker was filling their inground tanks. Had no choice due to running out before next station (I know...don't wait so long!) but had to get son from ccd.
  • filled up later and all was well. A day or two later, no start in a parking lot. Got tow truck and but started and ran well
  • drove home, drove several days but eventually no start again in driveway. drove expedition for several months due to winter and only a driveway for repairs
  • hindsight suggested bad gas perhaps. put in a can of heet and a can of seafoam.
    • drove well for a few weeks. didn't start briefly but banged on tank and it started.
    • drove a bit but no start after a brief stop at a mall store. had fuel pressure at schrader. tried starting again and ran okay.
    • drove to work, no start again and towed home but weather now becoming workable...
  • What I know and have checked so far:
    • relay is fine, fuse is fine, inertia switch not tripped. on fuse block, have 12v to one leg of relay with KeyOff, two legs with KeyOn
    • opened up floor pan using hole cut as shown in my post from several years back...testing female side of 8 pin connector:
      • KeyOn have ~12v from center two pins on row of pins closer to the clip that holds the connector together.
      • the 12V is constant though, it doesn't drop down after a few seconds (like it is supposed to?). this is from female connector on harness side to sheet metal ground for both.
    • Probing the socket corresponding to both pump motor connections on harness side (heavier black wire and reddish pink with black stripe) also shows constant 12v which should eliminate a bad ground in the harness?
      • however, two pins having power is unclear to me
    • read a post about the PATS key...dash flashes every few seconds as intended. cranking turns off dash symbol as intended so that doesn't seem to be cause.
    • direct connection of power to fuel pump motor wire shows pump to run!
    • connected a fuel line directly to output side of fuel pump in tank to an empty container trying to fire up pump to eliminate any issue of a clogged filter causing backpressure...won't fire up pump using key. I will try to direct connect power to pump harness...
So I am puzzled...saw mention of PCM issues too. Not sure if any of the above would rule out or suggest that...anyone?
Many thanks and best regards!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, pumped about a half gallon out of tank using hand pump and about 3oz of water separated out at the bottom... thx again!

Also, pumped about a half gallon out of tank using hand pump and about 3oz of water separated out at the bottom... thx again!

Separated?! You must have Ethanol Free gas where you live...

Yeah, I was surprised too...we do have the ethanol. When the most recent trouble started, I had to get gas at a station that had signs saying they were out of gas but if I didn't, I would have ran out and I needed to pick up my son...not making an excuse but a potential source? The jug I pumped into had a few drops but nowhere near the amount I saw separate...

Is your explorer a FlexFuel model? If it is run a tank of E85. Should clean everything out.
No, standard gas...wound up taking it in and not sure of where, etc but issue stemmed from faulty/poor grounds and intermittent inertia switch continuity...thanks!

Back