• Register Today It's free!

2002 EB XLT..list of issues...

mywifesexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB XLT 4.0
Let me begin by saying, as the username states, this is my wifes explorer, and up until now ive been happy with it for the most part. Anywyay, its an 02 Eddie Bauer XLT 4x4, w/ 4.0l engine, and here is a list of its issues:

*Interior lights stay on and the doors wont lock unless the dimmer is off.
*Windows operate, that is the ones that are operational, with the window lock on.
*Key alarm stays on unless its removed, or its in start/run position.
*Front passenger window goes down from the drivers side, but up from the passenger side.
*Drivers side window will go down, but wont come up without fiddling with the harness in the door.
*Right rear window doesnt go up or down.
*DIC,, climate control and aftermarket stereo displays are dim during the day.
*With the key off, radio shuts off immediately(door closed), interior lights come on and stay on, unless dimmer is shut off.
*Doors wont lock with the dimmer on.

Well there it is, any help on where to start or any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks

First, check the wire harness where the driver's side door pivots. I'm sure you will be able to fix a number of your issues by repairing some broken wires. Look for broken black wires, and others. Remove the interior door panel too, for better access. Lightly tug on any suspect wires. I pulled mine apart months ago, found one broken ground wire which fixed a door ajar problem, and some other issues. I found wires that were starting to break, so I fixed those while I was in there. I also had intermittent speaker problems in the door, which was because of two broken wires. The speaker wires were broken on the inside, but the outside appeared normal, so feel with your fingers carefully to find any irregularities. To fix them, splice in a longer piece of wire. I solder them in, then use heat shrink wrap to keep them insulated.

Good luck!

Back