2002 Expl won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Expl won't start

lljchapman

Reaction score
City, State
walden, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2002 explorer eddie bauer. In the past 2 1/2 years I have put over $5000 into this thing and now we have yet another problem. My husband was driving home and the truck died. He pulled over and it refuses to start. All of the dash lights come on when you attempt to start it so cannot be the battery. He tried jump starting it and that did nothing. We were leaving the next day for vacation so the truck sat for 8 days. Tried it again with fingers crossed when we got home and still nothing. I would like to avoid going to the ford dealer as I have given them plenty of my money already. Does anyone have any ideas. I was thinking burnt wiring, or possibly fuel issue. Any advice would be great. My father in law is a nissan mechanic so he doesnt have the computer for ford, but if we can pinpoint the problem, he can get the parts and fix it cheap. I have had it with this vehicle but I now owe too much on it to get rid of it. PLEASE HELP!:(

It could be somthing as simple as a fuel pump. When you turn the key on to the run position, you should hear the pump prime. If not, start with the relay/fuses. If so, move on to the ignition. You should have spark when you try to start it. Chances are you will have air.

It could be somthing as simple as a fuel pump

WELLL - I wouldn't call that "simple" :confused: The same thing happened to me on the same vehicle - it DOES sound like the fuel pump- to the tune of over $400 -they have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump - pump had to come from Detroit.

spray ether into intake while trying to start it to see if it actaully fires off....if it does the you know its a fuel problem....Check fuel fuses....Wen was the last time you changed fuel filter? that being dirty/clogged mite have caused the fuel pump to fail.....

Back