2002 exploder xlt cold no start problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 exploder xlt cold no start problem

Greengiant!!!

Reaction score
City, State
Groton,ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer xlt
Had my 2002 exploder since 2006 and this is the first year that I've had the cold start problem. It cranks like a champ but no start. It runs like a champ with no problems when it does start but getting it to do just that is the problem. And 2002 xlt 4.0 4 door. Anyone have some help for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe fuel filter, or a fuel related issue. fuel pump going bad ..more info if possible. whats the mileage

166000, but if those we're the isssues, would it not run like nothing's wrong when started?

It could, if there is low amount of pressure in the line on start up, then after having the key in the on position for a bit the pressure rises..try turning the key to the on position and let it sit for about 15 to 20 seconds see how it starts..

Ok I'll try that and check the schreader valve to see if there is fuel there as well

ok keep us posted. do you have a check engine light on?

Turn the key to on then wait 2 seconds, turn key to off. Repeat this 3 times then try to start the truck. If it starts right up you probably have a bad check valve in the fuel pump which is allowing the pressure to bleed off. Since the pump only turns on for 2 seconds to prime the system this will not give you enough pressure to start the engine if the fuel system is starting with 0 pressure.
The 3 key turns gives the pump 6 seconds to pressurize the fuel rail.

I tried the 3 times thing and it fired then died right away, tried again and it fired right up. I'm gonna have to try it again when it gets colder in the morning since it's 53 degrees here today

Ok so this am I went out and went to start it, I turned the key but noticed I didn't hear the click in the back, turned the key on and off a few more times until I heard it then waited a second and fired it, it fired up for a hit second then died, key on off till I heard it again and fired and died again. Couple times of this the it started and stayed running. Any ideas now?

sounds like the pump is draining off...

turn the key until the pump clicks on a few times before you start it

Really hard to say, relay`s are harder to test without another relay..

i believe #47 is the high beam relay and #48 is fuel pump, switch them they are the same

Switched them and I heard it everytime, the noise for the fuel pump that is, and it started everytime. I'll try again in like 4 hours when it gets colder to see if that was the fix

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try the high beams see if they work

Back