2002 Explorer 2WD Transmission Worries | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 2WD Transmission Worries

Bob Explorer 200

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've got a 2002 2WD Explorer that seems to have a transmission problem. The engine often seems to be racing when I'm driving and it sometimes hesitates when I put it in gear--doesn't move right away.
QUESTIONS:
1.) I would like to check the transmission fluid but, since it doesn't have a dip stick, I'm not sure how to do this. I have a jack and jack stands and can probably get a friend to get under it if I need to. I'm elderly with health issues.

2.) The ATF is probably a bit old at this point and I'd like to change it. How do I go about doing that?

3.) I brought it to two different mechanics to have the transmission flushed out, but both told me they would more than likely break the copper tubing if they tried to flush it. Was this just a line they were giving me or is that a legitimate concern? Can I flush it myself in my garage without having to buy expensive equipment and, if I am going to need new tubing lines, what would be a ball park figure on the parts cost?

Will appreciate any help on this. I tried doing a search but couldn't seem to find much.

I've got a 2002 2WD Explorer that seems to have a transmission problem. The engine often seems to be racing when I'm driving and it sometimes hesitates when I put it in gear--doesn't move right away.
QUESTIONS:
1.) I would like to check the transmission fluid but, since it doesn't have a dip stick, I'm not sure how to do this. I have a jack and jack stands and can probably get a friend to get under it if I need to. I'm elderly with health issues.

2.) The ATF is probably a bit old at this point and I'd like to change it. How do I go about doing that?

3.) I brought it to two different mechanics to have the transmission flushed out, but both told me they would more than likely break the copper tubing if they tried to flush it. Was this just a line they were giving me or is that a legitimate concern? Can I flush it myself in my garage without having to buy expensive equipment and, if I am going to need new tubing lines, what would be a ball park figure on the parts cost?

Will appreciate any help on this. I tried doing a search but couldn't seem to find much.
Just giving this thread a bump here. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Bob have you read the 5R55W fill thread?

Back