2002 explorer 4.0 V6 Spark Plug Type And Gap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer 4.0 V6 Spark Plug Type And Gap

02whiteXLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0 v6
i have a 4.0 v6 its a 2002 explorer i pulled a spark plug and it looked good but the gap was at .074in way too big i thought, then i looked at the spark plug number it was a motorcraft platinum AGRE 22P the sticker on the hood said the plug should be a AGSF-22PP and the gap should be at .052-.056, the car has never been touched with its all original it has 60,000miles, so is the current plug the right one and why would it be gapped at .074 from the factory, wouldnt that high gap cause the engine to run rough? the car runs good, seems to lack power though i just though it was because it was a v6, any advice would be nice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well in case you didn't already know, Motorcraft plugs are made by Autolite. I always tend to put the OEM installed plugs in my vehicles when I replace them, but since Autolite and Motorcraft are one in the same, I use Autolites in my Fords.

The correct Autolite plug for your Explorer is APP103 gapped at 0.054". With Autolite, there are a few more options too...I'm using the Autolite XP103 which is a fine-wire iridium plug instead of a double platinum such was installed from the factory. They weren't that much more than the double platinums, and I'm always a sucker for something new, so I tried them. So far, I'm very pleased. They work great, I'd whole-heartedly recommend them. Otherwise, the double platinums work fine too.

Just for the record, my original plugs were pretty well shot too. I think the worst one was around 0.080", and all the platinum had worn off the electrodes. I changed them probably around the same mileage as yours has.

maybe the gap was good it was just the plugs that were worn, but it only has 55,000miles, update i pulled all the plugs form the pass side they were gapped at .58 and the plug was AGRE 22PP which is a diferent plug, what is going on? the driver side is AGRE 22P and they wer gapped at .74-.75 and the pass side were totaly different, anyway i pulled ALL the plugs and gapped them at .56 that what it says on the emisions sticker, i didnt feel any difference maybe a little, what would be the effects of having the gap to big? less power? and less MPG?? i dont now why the one side would wear down so quick with only 55,000 miles

With the miles on your vehicle, I'd probably suggest changing them out with some new ones. Even if you buy the most expensive plugs (the XP103), you'll have less than $50 in them. Cheap maintenance if you ask me.

it just shows how much of a joke the ford 100K tune ups are, by the time you hit that 100K the gap has to be around .070-.075

They figure it should make it to 100K under "ideal" conditions, which are all but unattainable for almost everyone driving.

Very old thread, I'm finally changing my plugs tomorrow and I'm at 185,000 miles and I know they're original and vehicle still runs great. Curious to see what these plugs look like.

Motorcraft SP500 Only IMO...
SP500.jpg

Back