• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Catalytic noise

sprucewood

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford explorer XLS
Cling cling cling type sound coming from the Cat. converter. Anyone else heard this and if so what's happening with it. Watched a youtube vid someone posted about it and it sounded just like mine does but no reason was given.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the heat shield to see if it is loose. in 2009, the heat shield around the transfer case on my XLT cracked at the bolt holes and make a cling-cling sound at certain speeds. Hopefully it is something that simple.

Check the heat shield to see if it is loose. in 2009, the heat shield around the transfer case on my XLT cracked at the bolt holes and make a cling-cling sound at certain speeds. Hopefully it is something that simple.
Lets hope so, thank you i'll check it out and post what I find.

Which one? If it sounds like a bunch of marble rattling around then the honeycomb material has busted loose and you'll need to replace the cat.

Which one? If it sounds like a bunch of marble rattling around then the honeycomb material has busted loose and you'll need to replace the cat.
Sybertiger, is it true that if one cat goes out then both must be replaced ? This is what the Chilton manual is saying. I live in Cal. and we have very strict rules governing emissions.

You probably should specify which one of the videos I linked sounds like your problem. You'll want to make sure it's the cat before moving forward. I'll leave it up to others who have experience with your vehicle to comment on the specifics.

I'm in California and got the CA-compliant kit from Magnaflow. I managed to find it for about the same price as the non-CA parts at jet.com. Nearly twice as much as the kit from rockauto.com, but it was all three of them and a very well-designed, well-built kit.

Back