2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer

finiteguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm about to purchase a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer from a family member for a low price. Has 42,000 original miles. Anyone have any opinions on this vehicle?
Consumer reports comments that the transmission could be problematic. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed. Change it now, if it wasn't already changed. It was the first (and most problematic it seems) year of a new model...

Welcome to this forum! The 5R55W has known issues with the solenoid block & servo bores which tend to act up @ 60K miles.

Is that an expensive repair? Does it require a rebuilt transmission?

:D:DIts more like 100K-120K, I have had 2 3rd gens now (2002,2005) both with trannys problems. Mines acting up now at 135,000. The problems are the solenoid blocks, replace this and your good to go. You can find them on ebay for about 250 bucks. There not very hard to put in at all so labor shouldnt be bad. One sign that the solenoid blocks are bad is if you get alittle bump every now and then while shifting. Other than that these are awesome, lots of loyal customers on here that can attest that..

But at 42,000 miles you wont be worrying about a tranny for awhile. I'd buy it if the price is right and the person who owned it before was "automotively responsible" if that makes sense.

I've loved both of my exs!

Is that an expensive repair? Does it require a rebuilt transmission?
The servo bore issue requires an entire rebuild if you decide to resleeve the bores. A cheaper option is to use upgraded servos with O rings. Swapping solenoid blocks isn't such a big deal.

The servo bore issue requires an entire rebuild if you decide to resleeve the bores. A cheaper option is to use upgraded servos with O rings. Swapping solenoid blocks isn't such a big deal.
I guess that I dont understand all of this. I called a transmission guy today and mentioned that I was planning on buying the Explorer and he said that there is more to it than just replacing the solenid block. I am getting the 2002Eddie Bauer with V8 for $5300. Has 42000 miles. Is that a reasonable deal?

Back