2002 Explorer Floor Cargo Hatch Broken. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Floor Cargo Hatch Broken.

DesertCourtz

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I recently purchased a used 2002 explorer limited. The rear floor cargo hatch is broken, and I have been unable to actually open the cargo area. Any suggestions for how to get this open? I have found the part needed, and will be ordering it soon, but I would like to be able to get it open, and at least get a temporary "handle" fixed to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You posted your question in the Sport Trac sub forum. I for one (and I'm sure I'm not alone) don't have a clue what you're talking about. I suggest you move your question to the regular Explorer forum.

thread was moved

I repaired one of mine using JB weld and a nail. Took quite a few layers but is now better than new. The nail goes through from one side to the other now after some modifications. Second one broke recently and is on the job list. To open hatch after break I just released the plastic with a screw driver. Where are you able to order these new?

I recently purchased a used 2002 explorer limited. The rear floor cargo hatch is broken, and I have been unable to actually open the cargo area. Any suggestions for how to get this open? I have found the part needed, and will be ordering it soon, but I would like to be able to get it open, and at least get a temporary "handle" fixed to it.
I had the same issue. Epoxy didn't work. AmesCreative.net has 3D printed ones available in Black or white for $10.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 71

I repaired one of mine using JB weld and a nail. Took quite a few layers but is now better than new. The nail goes through from one side to the other now after some modifications. Second one broke recently and is on the job list. To open hatch after break I just released the plastic with a screw driver. Where are you able to order these new?
The parts are no longer made. I had one 3D Printed by AmesCreative.net. I used nails as the pins as well.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 67

Back