2002 Explorer- major alarm issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer- major alarm issues

ccrelan

Reaction score
City, State
Norwalk, CT
Hi Everyone- I am trying to help out a friend of mine. He has been given a 2002 Explorer. If we can fix the issue, my friend can own the car for nothing. His in laws are sick of the car and its problem.

The catch is that the car alarm will not turn off and is a huge draw on the battery. The car has not run in months because the battery wears down quickly. When it did run, the alarm started going off at random times and then started going off all the time. There was no way to turn the alarm off at all.

We jumped the car today. However, immediately after jumping the car the alarm started sounding and the alarm light on the dash lit up preventing the car from being started. We have the factory keyfobs for unlocking the doors, but the car does not have keyless entry.

Any leads here would be greatly appreciated. Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just take it to the dealership. If he's getting the car for free if you can fix it, whatever he pays them will be worth it.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

We have the factory keyfobs for unlocking the doors, but the car does not have keyless entry.

This statement has me scratching my head. :scratch: :dunno:

I may be spit balling here, but it's worth a shot:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Good luck with the fix. :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

When I had my battery out for an engine replacement (2003 4.0) the alarm would go off as soon as it was hooked back up. I had to hook the battery up and then put the key in the drivers door and lock and/or unlock (can't remember which right now) it to get the alarm to stop. I'd give it a try and if it works then try reprogramming you remotes and see if they work.

Check the door ajar/alarm switch in the doors, drivers side and passenger side front doors were bad on mine, the alarm would act up any time it got below freezing. I replaced both, the drivers side is like 15 bucks and the passengers side is 50-60 if you get it online, Ford will roll you over and ask for 90. They are buried deep inside the door on the bottom of the latch assembly.

Back