2002 Explorer - Manual to Auto Trans - Engine Swap Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer - Manual to Auto Trans - Engine Swap Question

chipray

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Rosa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone,

My sister has an '02 manual transmission 2wd Explorer that needs work, but has a good engine.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?vin=1fmzu62ex2zc60083

She found a nice condition '02 automatic transmission 2wd Explorer for sale with a bad engine.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?vin=1FMZU63E12Z868892

She asked me if I can do an engine swap for her. I've searched the forum but can't find an answer to my question. I'm hoping someone on here knows the answer. :)

Are the engines in these two Explorers the same? One thing I'm concerned about is whether or not the crankshaft is the same? The manual trans engine might have a pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft, while the automatic has a bushing. Just wondering if Ford used the exact same crank for both manual and automatic engines? Or are they different?

I don't mind swapping auxiliary engine components, but don't want to find out the hard way that something like the cranks are different between manual and auto trans equipped Explorers.

Can you think of anything else that might cause this type of engine swap to be "not worth the effort" ?

All comments/help/advice is greatly appreciated. Best regards, Chip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't do it. The 02-04 explorers have major problems with automatic transmissions. Assuming her truck is in good shape, other than the transmission, it's not worth the time and money to swap your engine into that other truck. You'd be better off rebuilding the transmission in her truck. Otherwise she could end up being in the same situation she's in now, but with a more expensive automatic to deal with.

I have never seen a 3rd gen with a manual transmission. How the heck did she get it?

I think 2002 was the only 3rd gen with a manual

26 spline clutch

If the vehicle has the 26 spline clutch and needs replacement it will be expensive to replace. Ford only made 1,000 of them in production and there are no OEM units available. There is only one aftermarket source that I'm aware of: Southland Clutch in Calif. Cost is $700 plus shipping and handling. See this thread for more information: Blown engine... need recommendations

Hey thanks for the replies everyone. I understand what your saying about the automatics not being reliable. Thanks for that info.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the clutch might have been what caused them a lot of pain trying to locate/replace in the past. I think that is part of why they're considering swapping engines with an automatic.

I'll have ask them what else is wrong with it.

I definitely appreciate the feedback. Fyi, we also have a 1998 Explorer XLT with over 200k miles on it and it hasn't needed anything other than regular maintenance (knock on wood). :) Sucks to hear the newer ones have transmission problems.

Sister's 2002 Explorer

Very familiar with the 2002 year 4 door manual trans which of course is different than the manual they put in the 2door sport. Replaced it twice. Dealer took 1 month under warranty to find one. 2 years later, private mechanic replaced, took 4 months. Apparently only one trans/clutch guy in Texas has any for these rare breeds anymore.

Anyone had any experience swapping one for an automatic? Manual does have a pilot bearing that never seems to be not loud anymore.

Our 3.0 V-6 is strong and low miles, so if it can be done the auto we'd put it in would be the best upgrade for her.

Back