2002 Explorer/Mountaineer 4 Door Pictures | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer/Mountaineer 4 Door Pictures

Hmm, I think I'll go with the left picture!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll take em' both;)

Bummer...

I really like the new look, but could this be signaling the beginning of the end for off-road-capable SUVs...?

Obviously Ford realizes it sells more Explorers/Expeditions/Excursions to families concerned with using the vehicle to pick the kids up at school, get groceries and maybe tow something, than to those wishing to go off-road. Consequently, we see lower ground (bumper) clearance, a more "cushy" ride, wider stance and 3rd seat capability in the new Explorer. Oh, and perhaps a new anti-yaw device so the vehicle doesn't roll over while making a turn! :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Ford the changes to the new Explorer b/c, let's face it, they're in this game to make $$$. But please Ford, leave us one vehicle that can still handle moderate off-roading! At least the Sport currently fits this bill, but for how long? Indeed, it appears that, if things continue down this path, one will have to look elsewhere for a 4-door, off-road-capable SUV.

'Course, if a certain democratic candidate for president were to be elected, it probably wouldn't matter anyway as SUVs wouldn't be allowed to go off-road. :nono:

Oh, FWIW I agree, looks kinda like a mini-Expedition...

According to the diagram posted by Felsman, it has "higher ground clearance" for off-road, so maybe they are still trying to throw the offroad Explorer owners/enthusiasts a bone. I'd be interested in the specs to see just how much more, but I imagine every little bit helps.....

I don't get it...

Yes, I noticed the "higher ground clearance" note on the spec sheet but, as someone already mentioned, how can this be? Also noted is "lower step-in height"... :confused:

It's a miracle of engineering...

The step-in height does not factor into the overall clearance measurement. Clearance measures the distance between the differential and the ground.

OK if the Explorer is engineered to match the bumper of a Taurus by dropping the frame rails 2.5", then does that means I can take a Taurus off road! How is that possible to have frame rails the same height as the Taurus bumper, yet have enough height to go off road. The Explorer already has one of the lowest ground clearences in its class. Now according to Ford they dropped it another 2.5". Did they suck up room in the frame to bring the axles up higher into the chassis? They also are planning to put smaller engines in them.

Sure the pics look cool, but from what I get out of it, they just turned our beast into another POS minivan.

If you think it is hard to lift a 95 and up with the damn torsion bars just imagine what it would take to make it into a real off-roader now with that rear suspension.

If they dropped the rear cargo floor 7". where did they put the spare?

Ya man, but boy it looks real nice though don't it?

Looks like yuppy food to me......hmmmm....I can just here a yuppy now....THERE...hear it?!...off in the distance?

"HEY! I don't wanna take it off-road, I might scratch something! I don't care what SHE looks like, I ain't goin'!"

heee ;)

LOL!!

The moment they take away the chassis from it, is the day the Explorer dies! I love the way my truck handles, especially pulling 7000 lbs behind it, try that with a yuppie SUV!!! HEHE even the GM Blazers can't compare with that! A guy I work with has one and he wnated to borrow my trailer, so I hooked it up to it and I could spin the steering wheel with one finger while its standing still, so I told him NO WAY was I going to let him pull it, he had a V6 and a stick, and I doubt he would even make it up a hill with it. AND THAT WAS EMPTY!!!

Well if they soften the ride anymore than it is now, then one trip around the block with my rig would flatten the springs! :)

Can't help but notice those nice Firestone Wilderness tires that newly designed Explorer is riding on. I guess Ford still has one more change to make with the new Explorer. If I were them, especially with the enormous attention the tires have been getting, I would take the new Explorers out for a new add shoot with some different tires! I certainly do not think they will want to show off the new truck wearing those. It will be interesting to see if they do do anything with such ad photos now. Time will tell....;)

Well, I have been silent long enough. It does look like a mini Expedition. I know that Ford doesn't really give a rats @ss about weather it goes off road or not, just as long as it looks like it could, kinda sorta. It's a talk the talk but no Walk the walk kind of thing. This is just the way it is. What I would like to know is if Ford actually threw us a bone and made it possible and easier to modify. We all know that off road vehicles are not bought, they are built. It's not bad looking, infact I could get used to it. What I can't get used to is not being able to modify the damn thing. If I can't do that, then it ain't worth jack. I hope they have an idea on how to lift the rear. Just vision it with 35's, Con-Ferr rack, with 2 sets of PIAA Pro80 XT's, a Ramsey Serria Wraparound front winch mount and winch. How about a custom rear bumper/tire carrier, and some rock sliders. :D Hey a guy can dream can't he? ;)

Well considering that Firestone is recalling them, I doubt if Ford would even think about using them again. :)

A quote from a news clipping earlier..

The new Explorer also shows how the SUV market is evolving away from its off-road adventuring roots. Ford officials express confidence the new Explorer will be a hit, but the changing SUV market is opening the way for rival products to slice away at the Explorer’s franchise using vehicles that combine car-like ride and fuel economy with SUV looks and functionality

Ford engineers redesigned the Explorer’s rear suspension and frame so that the rear floor of the vehicle is seven inches lower than in the old model. To produce a smoother ride, the old Explorer’s solid rear axle was replaced by a more complex mechanism that allows each rear wheel to move independently over bumps.

Seems to me the harder we try to make them to use off-road, too many others complain that it just isn't posh enough. I guess we can all see where this will lead to in the next few years. :banghead:

Ray, knowing what I know about Ford, if I were you I'd take VERY good care of YOUR truck. See, modifications are done in the aftermarket, Ford could care less about that. I'm sure they gave modifying the Explorer little to no thought. If you ask me the thing for Ford to do is in house modifications. Might not be worth it though.

Yes, it is a bit depressing. I had to lift mine 2" to get it to the stock height of a 99 Sport.

pathetic.......

Check this article out

I know a lot of you have been talking about how the new explorer is like a minivan now. but according to this article it has the best ground clearance yet. 9.2 inches
http://detnews.com/autosweekly/0008/09/lead/lead.htm
The only suv that i can think of that has more is the 4runner. it has 9-11 depending on what package you get. So unless this article is a miss print this is the best stock off road explorer we have ever had.

2002 Explorer

I am very much interested in buying a 2002 Explorer. I think it looks great. Some of the options I want are "late availability". Just how much longer would one have to wait to get these?

Well??

I know you all are gonna hate me for saying this but I will say it anny ways. I do like the look of the new Explorer it looks very sporty! I red the article about it and was unhappy to here that they lowered it to match with the taurus's frame!! that I dont care for at all you are buying a SUV so live with what a SUV is!! it is basically a truck but can carry more than 3 people! When they said that they widend it that was a good thing to here as you all know wider is better when going up!! hehe that is what I think and the Moutaneer well make that the family sedan if you want I could care less but keep the Explorer an Exlplorer!

Thad, I'm not sure. If they're late availiability that means they will come out halfway through the model year. If its something that you want that dealers just aren't ordering, it varies depending on your location. I ordered my 07 Limited in Oxford White. That color was discontinued on the Limited in 96 and replaced with a god awful cream. Ford charged me nothing for the order, and I was able to haggle etc when the truck came in, took almost exactly 6 weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back