2002 Explorer. My 5R55W lost all gears after replacing the solenoid block & fluid. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer. My 5R55W lost all gears after replacing the solenoid block & fluid.

engtech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
There have been several threads on this topic, 5r55w transmission with the shift flare issues (p0775 solenoid b) error code. I replaced the solenoid pack/filter and returned the fluid as suggested by another thread on this site. The car ran fine upon road test and the error code p0775 disappeared.

However, when I parked the car, re-flushed the fluid a second time, upon returning the fluid the transmission does not shift into gear? With the engine running, the shifter moves, but no gear engages? Checked the fuses, every seems ok. I even took the pan off and tried putting the old solenoid pack back on, no luck. Also, there are no OBDII error codes at this point?

Any suggestions at this point to get the Explorer to shift would be appreciated...thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just posting in response to the orginial thread. My Explorer has the 5r55w transmission with the shift flare issues (p0775 solenoid b) error code. I replaced the solenoid pack/filter and returned the fluid as per the original thread. The car ran fine upon road test and the error code p0775 disappeared.

However, when I parked the car, re-flushed the fluid a second time, upon returning the fluid the transmission does not shift into gear? With the engine running, the shifter moves, but no gear engages? Checked the fuses, every seems ok. I even took the pan off and tried putting the old solenoid pack back on, no luck. Also, there are no OBDII error codes at this point?

Any suggestions at this point to get the Explorer to shift would be appreciated...thanks.

When I refilled a second time it would only accept some of the fluid. With the engine running, the internal pump was not pulling the fluid as when I filled the 1st time. Again, since I could not shift into gear, it seems the pump would not start turning to pull more fluid.

The wiring harness is connected. I'll read up more on the speed sensor to see how it would correspond to this problem. Thanks.

DTRS, the fuse located within the passenger cabin is ok.

I'm thinking its a fluid issue and the gear pump has failed as well. The transmission is quiet, nothing seems to be turning when I press the brake and shift the lever into any gear.

Did you make sure the wiring plugs are snapped into place if they are not fully seated and locked especially the plug on the DTRS there will be no gears. The pump gears are driven by the torque converter, if the engine is running the pump is running. How did you flush the fluid?

A mechanic I know suggested that I check the transmission linkage cable to make sure its connected.

Linkage cable is o.k. I flushed the fluid from the bottom of the pan, and pumped the fluid back with a hand pump/hose/ passing through 1/4" to 1/8" pipe fittings.

In regards to the DTRS, would you be able to be more descriptive as to where I can find the DTRS plug/sensor. Is it located near the linkage cable or near single exterior bolt that holds the solenoid pack?

Is the DTRS a part that I can reset or did it fail with the process of changing the solenoid pack?

I have the Explorer parked at the moment, no rush obviously to get it back on the road. Any suggestions help, thanks.

Updates...Purchased a new DTRS from ebay, replaced the sensor as per my Explorer Haynes manual. However, no luck as there is still no gears or OBDII codes.

Just a thought

You could try re installing the old solenoid block and see what happens. it could at least tell you weather the new block is the problem or not. I had a remanufactured solenoid block from sonnax puke on me after 2 months and about 1500 miles. Good luck brother!

Back