2002 Explorer need HELP!, Electrical Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer need HELP!, Electrical Problem

jtabor2004

Reaction score
City, State
PV, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello, I have a 2002 Explorer that I believe has a electrical problem,
1. first off the alarm will go off intermittently when locked, I have to the always have it unlocked
2. Gas guage willl intermittently work.
3. Interior lights will come on and off randomly.
4. Headlights will flash intermittently.
5. Door ajar will come on ever so often.

I have read about the door ajar problem, but will this cause the other issues that I am having.
Thanks in advance guys I do not like having my car unlocked at night, but have no choice because of being awaken by a car.

I would certainly check the wires in the door first. It is fairly simple as there is a good write up on it, after yhat then search for something else.
Yours is a 2002 so it is possible that this is your problem with all the times the door has been opened and closed.

Welcome aboard! :salute:

I agree with my1zamboni :thumbsup:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Good luck with the fix and be sure to keep us posted! :biggthump

Back