2002 Explorer Oil Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Oil Change

Reaction score
City, State
BUFORD, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8 4x4.
I got a 2002 explorer with the 4.6 and 4x4. I'm due for an oil change but bought it without a owners manual and I was wondering if someone could tell me how many quarts of oil that I need to put in it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a 2002 explorer with the 4.6 and 4x4. I'm due for an oil change but bought it without a owners manual and I was wondering if someone could tell me how many quarts of oil that I need to put in it?

6 quarts.

Welcome aboard! :salute:

If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

Is it really 6 quarts? Damnit! :D

I was always annoyed that Mobile 1 came in 4 quart containers and my Mitsubishi Eclipse took roughly 4 and a half. I was excited when I learned Wal-Mart had there own M1 packaged in 5 quart containers.

Now I'll have to start buying an extra damn quart! :D

I just picked up my 02 XLT, I haven't done an oil change yet. Oil looked clean and it wasn't low although it's just about due so I picked up a K&N Gold Oil Filter and a 5qt jug of M1 5~30. Figured it would be enough.

Maybe I'll just take it to a shop and pay them to do it. I hate oil changes in the winter anyway.

kboggy- if you go online and search around, you can find oil change coupons for Borgman Ford for $14.95 using Motorcraft oil and filter.

Not worth laying under there for that $$.

KDoggy, if you have the 4.0, you only need 5 qts. The 4.6 takes 6 qts.

I usually put in about 6.25 quarts for my v8...hasn't caused any problems for me...

I usually put in about 6.25 quarts for my v8...hasn't caused any problems for me...

Why are you running more oil, its better to run a little less than more, you have a chance of building up to much pressure and blowing out seals

Back