2002 Explorer - rear heat/ac bangs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer - rear heat/ac bangs

destiny6265

Reaction score
City, State
new bedford, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
hi everyone,

I have a 3rd seat in my 2002 explorer. the heating/ac unit in the back makes a loud banging noise all the time, whether or not the heat/or ac is on. the dealer told me would cost $400 to fix. does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

thanks. its driving me and the kids crazy!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do i replace my rear blend door actuator

hi everyone,

I have a 3rd seat in my 2002 explorer. the heating/ac unit in the back makes a loud banging noise all the time, whether or not the heat/or ac is on. the dealer told me would cost $400 to fix. does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

thanks. its driving me and the kids crazy!!!

Update...i determined through much research it is my rear temperature blend door actuator...i can get one for about $50, but need some help replacing it. I know its on the rear drivers side, all the way back, behind a small grate that i removed. i see a part that looks like blower motor resistor i just replaced in the front...am i anywhere near where i need to be?????

thanks.

WOW! I'm not the only one...

This has been happening for a while in my '02 XLT... I have just shut off the rear air all together for a while because I got the same deal about the cost. Can you let me know where you got your part and the part number? Also, any suggestions about how to approach this??? Thanks a bunch -- hope your finding success!!!!

This has been happening for a while in my '02 XLT... I have just shut off the rear air all together for a while because I got the same deal about the cost. Can you let me know where you got your part and the part number? Also, any suggestions about how to approach this??? Thanks a bunch -- hope your finding success!!!!
hi, i havent fixed it yet, but i can email you some pdf files i got from another member, and the part i found at napa, its item #bk 6551551 $48.49, heater/ac door actuator motor. send an email to me at destiny6265@comcast.net and i will send you back the files...

Hey, me too......

My 2002 X has a banging in the driver side rear from the rear heat assy. It just started doing it. Keep us posted on your progress. Pics would be good too. Thanks, Billw

rear heat banging

I decided to tackle the rear heat/AC blend door motor on my wife's 02 Lmtd. As I suspected, it was bad (thanks forum). That little motor produces a lot of torque-hard to beleieve the gears inside it would strip. You wouldn't think the blend door would be that hard to move..... Anyway, I worked on it for about 30 mins and had it all apart. Of course, I broke off the seat belt anchor bolt. Nice to know they twist right off, glad to know we've never needed them, if you know what I mean. To think, I thought I'd save some money on this job..... This is why I rarely work on my cars anymore..... Now for the front brakes (rotors / pads).
Billw

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. I have a clicking noise when I turn on the rear environmental control. I have removed the fan behind the louvered panel on the rear left side and it is not the fan. There is a box structure fwd of the fan that you can see when you remove the cup holders. When I feel this structure I can feel that the noise is coming from inside this area. It doesn't appear that I can access this area with out removing the interior components. What could this noise be caused by and what is the best way to access this area?

Noise in rear of Explorer

Have you fixed this yet and what did you have to remove to access the parts?

I just repaired the problem. It was an A/C actuator that cost $41 from Checker Auto Parts (PA 8609579). It's located on the back side of the rear heat/a/c unit behind the left rear plastic panel. Unbolt the 2nd row left seat belt anchor first near the floor. You need to pop off the plastic trim panels on the upper left rear, 2nd row seat belt retractor panel, lr door threshold, tailgate threshold, and the large panel covering the unit. (Pop out the tray with the door lock switch first.) Disconnect all of the wiring connections and wire harness. 2 screws and a nut hold the main unit in place. When those are removed, pull the whole thing out far enough to remove the a/c door actuator located on the back side (the one nearer the center) with 3 hex head screws.
Don't mix up the 2 actuator wiring connectors. Replace with the new unit and re-assemble in reverse order. It took me a little over an hour.

Here something interesting regarding this same rear Blend Actuator Motor. It moves too far in both directions (the new one that is). I hooked up the old one (with temporary repairs) and it moves too far as well.... I wonder why? It doesn't matter if I use the front controls or the back it does the same thing. The third mark up from the cold side on the control nob is fully cold - the third mark back from the hot side is fully hot. Is this what was intended? or is there some other simple controller that requires calibration / replacement. I suspect that you should not turn the hot and cold nobs fully in either direction to avoid breaking the gears again.

Perhaps there is a Ford Mechanic out there that has a wiring diagram of the control circuit. I would be willing to fully troubleshoot and provide the instructions for repair.

Cheers

Back