• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2002 Explorer - Replace Thermostat Housing and Hoses

BiggestWrenchMonkey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hey all,

I have been tasked with trying to repair the coolant leaks coming from the vehicle. From the pictures you can see that I need to replace both the thermostat as well as the housing that it is in. I was recommended the Four Seasons thermostat housing from the mechanic and wanted to know if this is one that would also be recommended on here. I am having trouble figuring out the name of the hoses that I would need to replace. The smaller one seems to be around 7 inches in length and the one feeding directly to the housing seems to be around 20 inches, give or take. I was also wondering if the lower part (which I circled) that is connected to both these lower hoses needed to be replaced as the leaks are around where they meet but seem to come from the hoses themselves. I would appreciate any info and/or links that you could provide me. Thank you in advance.
http://imgur.com/a/FilJC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

fordysenior

Reaction score
City, State
True Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
which engine?

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I just used the Dorman brand thermostat housing. I went with after market hoses (Gates, top of the line) and wouldn't do that again on the V6. Get your hoses from the dealer, as long as they aren't cut-to-fit.

The hoses on the tstat were a lil tricky.

BiggestWrenchMonkey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
I just used the Dorman brand thermostat housing. I went with after market hoses (Gates, top of the line) and wouldn't do that again on the V6. Get your hoses from the dealer, as long as they aren't cut-to-fit.

The hoses on the tstat were a lil tricky.

Thanks, I'll look into getting that tstat housing. From the recommended repairs paperwork I am seeing that the autoshop was planning on using a Dayco brand hose so I will have to get in contact with an actual dealership to see if they have the hoses I need. Thanks again.