2002 Explorer Sport: Should I buy or no? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sport: Should I buy or no?

Ouroborosvirgo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've been set on trying to get a jeep for my first vehicle but I am being weaned off slightly based on the bad things I read about Jeep reliability (specifically the liberty model)which confuses me since I see so many on the road.

Which has led me to look at other vehicles and I stumbled across a ford explorer sport 2002

The dealers asking price is $2950 but I am going to try and offer $2100.

Are Explorer Sports good vehicles?

it has 190,000 miles on it and the Carfax seems clean and clear and it has had 2 owners and shows regular maintenance.

But how are Explorers?

My main use
- Getting to work 5-6 days a week (about 20-25 miles per day)
- Weekend getaways/downtown (20-25 one way)
- I'd like to go offroading a bit but nothing too insane.

The problem with the Sports is that they only came with the SOHC 4.0L V6 engine, which is known to have timing chain component issues/failures, which are very expensive to repair. The automatic transmissions are not very strong either. Even at $2100 you could be looking at over $4000 worth of repairs down the road. It's a gamble and the fact that it has around 200k on it is not a plus.

We've owner three 4.0L SOHC's. The first one blew up, the second (engine was rebuilt by PO) still runs okay, the third is showing signs of timing chain issues. I'll never buy another SOHC. All our V8's (four of them) have a minimum of 200,000 miles and are running strong w/out any serious issues. If you've got to have an Explorer, get a '98-'01 V8.

The problem with the Sports is that they only came with the SOHC 4.0L V6 engine, which is known to have timing chain component issues/failures, which are very expensive to repair. The automatic transmissions are not very strong either. Even at $2100 you could be looking at over $4000 worth of repairs down the road. It's a gamble and the fact that it has around 200k on it is not a plus.
ugh lol I swear I need a car but my budget is lowish now :D I honestly don't know what suv to get in this price range that is somewhat decent then.

any suggestions?

ugh lol I swear I need a car but my budget is lowish now :D I honestly don't know what suv to get in this price range that is somewhat decent then.

any suggestions?

I edited my previous post regarding my experience with SOHC's. $2100 wouldn't be a bad price from a dealer, but craigslist prices will be less. I strongly suggest you have a mechanic (experienced with the SOHC engine) check it out. I really can't recommend you buy a SOHC based on my experience with them.

Back