2002 Explorer: Strange Leak

Richard7

Reaction score
City, State
Timmins, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT Sport
2002 Explorer: Transmission "Cup" Loose and Resultant Leak

I've had my Explorer parked most of the year and I start it up periodically and take it for a little run. Yesterday, when I ran it I noticed that a stream of coffee-coloured fluid was streaming swiftly at the rear of the motor. It looked like a "Slush Puppy" drink on the snow. I couldn't see where it was coming from but the stream was in line with the front crease of the doors.

I couldn't tell what kind of fluid it was. A finger and smell test didn't really give me any clues. It didn't seem to be oil, transmission or coolant fluid. My oil and coolant levels were all up. My green-coloured coolant tested to -45 degrees C. It seemed to remind me of rusty water with a slight gasoline smell.

Any clues what this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're correct, I wasn't thinking.

best way is to go under and check for a run-out, normally oil leaks (oil pan or oil filter adapter) would go to the rear of the car during driving. could also be the transmission..

Tranny Cup-Like Part Loose?

I finally got around to looking at my Explorer tranny and a metal cup-like part (3" diameter by 1.25" deep with rubber O ring attached) was loose and fell off along with a steel locking spring (3" diameter) and a cast ring (3" diameter broken) from the front of the tranny unit. The Explorer appears to have lost all its tranny fluid and will not move when put in gear

Any ideas what these parts are?

Where would I find diagrams/schematics for this tranny? I tried searching at the following website with my VIN which is 1FMZU73E82ZB88787

http://www.fordparts.com/Default.aspx?gnav=nav:home

Will it ever run again if this cup and fluid is replaced or do I need a new tranny?

i think it's bad news, looks like it's one of the transmission servos. common failure for the servo to snap. search for servo bore issues here and tons of info about it. it's fixable but I believe you have to take out the tranny.

Back