2002 Explorer Towing Question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Towing Question...

Hey guys im new to the forum and im thinking about adding a 2002 Ford Explorer to the garage and i have a few questions. First off what are these getting for gas mileage(v6). The most lbs i will be towing is about 2500 lbs how does this truck handle that much weight? I also noticed that there are different towing packages class I/II and class III/IV (what is the difference in the 2) does the class III/IV towing package have upgraded suspension?As I see these trucks towing down the road i see there noses pointing to the sky and i really dont like that. Is there a fixable option that will make it sit level with a load? Thanks guys.

Hey guys im new to the forum and im thinking about adding a 2002 Ford Explorer to the garage and i have a few questions. First off what are these getting for gas mileage(v6). The most lbs i will be towing is about 2500 lbs how does this truck handle that much weight? I also noticed that there are different towing packages class I/II and class III/IV (what is the difference in the 2) does the class III/IV towing package have upgraded suspension?As I see these trucks towing down the road i see there noses pointing to the sky and i really dont like that. Is there a fixable option that will make it sit level with a load? Thanks guys.

First of all, welcome to the site and thanks for finding the appropriate forum to post your question.

The 2002 year model is the first year of the 3rd generation Explorer, although it is very similar drivetrain wise to the previous years. The suspension is not as capable of handling weight since it is IRS, but 2500 lbs is within almost any drivetrain combination.

The towing package, which is the III/IV hitch (2" receiver) means a lower gear ratio(3.73), a transmission cooler, its also prewired for brake controller. I don't believe it has any heavier suspension components though. I don't believe there is load leveling suspension available for 3rd gens.

I highly recommend finding one with a towing package, the trans cooler is a huge plus, especially on the v6 models. The 2" receiver offers more options as far as ball mounts and accessories.

As for gas mileage, it would vary depending on gear ratio, driving style, etc. You can look through the 3rd gen forum to get a feel for mileage estimates.

Depending on how you load your trailer, it shouldn't sag alot with 2500 lbs. By the 10% rule, thats only 250 lbs of tongue weight. I would recommend a little more than 10% though for tongue weight just for stability.

You can get some custom coils made for the rear suspension to keep it from sagging when loaded. There is a member on here that lifted his 3rd gen with custom coils, I'd say you could get some to keep your factory height unloaded, but have increased capacity.

If you really want something to tow with, get a 1998-2001 V8 AWD or 2wd Explorer or Mountaineer.

2500 lbs is well withing the capabilities of your Explorer -- if you stick to reasonable towing speeds.

If you are going to tow a lot, you need to set yourself up properly. Electric brake. Anti Sway bar. 2 inch (class 3) reciever hitch. All this is pretty inexpesive and easy to do yourself. A good place to start is e-trailer.com. And research a lot on forems like this one. A good Forem with a lot of discussion about towing small camp trailers is CasitiaTrailers.com

If you are concerned about saging in the rear, and for safty and less wear on your tow vehical, get a weight distributing hitch, WDH,for your trailer. That will put the weight from the trailer hitch evenly on the trailer and all 4 tires of your tow vehical. A WDH is a trailer accessory and attached to your tow vehical at the standard 2 inch reciever.

GCH

Back